Sub Reviews I'd Like to See

J

jjackkrash

Audioholic Intern
I love the subwoofer reviews on here, they are my favorite type of reviews, and I especially like the objective testing. These are a few I'd like to see:

1. Submersive HP.

I own one and recommend this unit to everyone I can. I'd like to see an objective review and testing to either back up my subjective impression that its awesome or let me know I need to shut up about it (although I probably still won't shut up about it). I'd like to see how this stacks up against the PB-13 Ultra, which I almost bought in lieu of the SubM.

2. JL Audio "Budget" Sub (<$2k)

JL has some new "budget" subs coming out that look like they might be a great option for someone who doesn't want to go ID but also doesn't want to pay >$2k for a sub from JL. I bet these new subs will be awesome in this price range and I'd love to see a review.

JL Audio's new $1700 ES-112 subwoofer | Stereophile.com

3. Funk Audio/Funky Waves 15.3

These look like a great option for our friends to the North and for those who are priced out of a Submersive HP. (I'd also like to see how they stack up against a Submersive and the PB-13 Ultra). The Funk Audio offerings always look beautiful and I'd like to see this unit reviewed.

Ok, that's my short wish list. I don't get to listen to any subs that aren't in my house very often, so reviews and forums are pretty much what I got to go on as far as comparisons go.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I'm sure plenty of us would like to see AH reviews of these. So perhaps you can petition these companies to send AH a sub for review?

T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
I love the subwoofer reviews on here, they are my favorite type of reviews, and I especially like the objective testing. These are a few I'd like to see:

1. Submersive HP.

I own one and recommend this unit to everyone I can. I'd like to see an objective review and testing to either back up my subjective impression that its awesome or let me know I need to shut up about it (although I probably still won't shut up about it). I'd like to see how this stacks up against the PB-13 Ultra, which I almost bought in lieu of the SubM.
Agree 100%. :D :D I want to see a proper review of this more than any other sub out there to see if it lives up to all the praise it's gotten.

2. JL Audio "Budget" Sub (<$2k)

JL has some new "budget" subs coming out that look like they might be a great option for someone who doesn't want to go ID but also doesn't want to pay >$2k for a sub from JL. I bet these new subs will be awesome in this price range and I'd love to see a review.

JL Audio's new $1700 ES-112 subwoofer | Stereophile.com
Ehhh, I'm lukewarm on seeing a review of this personally. Something about a single 12" sealed driver for $1700 just doesn't appeal to me. :rolleyes:

3. Funk Audio/Funky Waves 15.3

These look like a great option for our friends to the North and for those who are priced out of a Submersive HP. (I'd also like to see how they stack up against a Submersive and the PB-13 Ultra). The Funk Audio offerings always look beautiful and I'd like to see this unit reviewed.
Good choice on this as well. I would also like to see the Funk Audio 18.0 with the TSAD18v1 driver tested (testing an LMS-5400 equipped one wouldn't really be breaking any new ground). $3000 sealed 18" subs with killer craftmanship perk up my ears way more than $1700 sealed 12" :)

One addition I'd like to add is the SVS SB-13 Plus.

D

DrFunk

Audioholic Intern
My vote goes for the Seaton Sub. And, although it's not a sub, I would like to see AH review the Seaton Catalyst.

J

jjackkrash

Audioholic Intern
Ehhh, I'm lukewarm on seeing a review of this personally. Something about a single 12" sealed driver for $1700 just doesn't appeal to me. :rolleyes:
I agree somewhat but I'd still like to see the JL review. I have room for the SubM in my HT setup, but I'd like to get a bedroom set up and I just don't have room for a bigger sub there (and I know other people have size constraints as well) and I also don't need huge output from a ported sub. If you want a sub to perform in a smaller box, you usually have to pay a premium for it. That's one of the reasons I'd like to see a review of the JL.

T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
I think for the size/price, I'd rather look at a Rythmik E15, or if I had enough room, two of their F12SE.

Still, it would be interesting to see what an ES-112 could do (though I won't be holding my breath waiting for it).

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I definitely want to see reviews of the Seaton Submersive HP, JTR Orbit Shifter, JTR Captivator, JTR Captivator S, and assorted Funky Waves/Funk Audio units.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I'd love to see Apollonio or Ricci review that $80 monoprice sub.

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General

One addition I'd like to add is the SVS SB-13 Plus.
I agree on both accounts. I also agree with the OP's other two suggestions. The JTR Captivator is another one I'd like to see, along with some of the other Rythmik subs. These subs have been getting a lot of attention lately, so it would be great if Audioholics secured a review. Their testing methods are some of the only ones I trust (just like Illka's and Ricci's).

H

homwerk

Audioholic Intern
I too would like to see the JTR Captivator and the Seaton Submersive tested. I would like to see an AH test of the Rythmik FV12 if possible too. It gets a lot of recommendations here and at AVS and I would like to see what the numbers really look like.

J

jjackkrash

Audioholic Intern
So, perusing this thread, I'd say we have some pretty good candidates for a shootout in the $1500 to $2500 category. :)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, but unless those companies are willing to offer one up, those reviews aren't going to happen.

J

jjackkrash

Audioholic Intern
I suppose that's the way it works. I sure would like to see it, though.

T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
I think they'd be more likely to submit for a test in a non-shootout format.

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
Yes, but unless those companies are willing to offer one up, those reviews aren't going to happen.
There's only one way to find out: ask them. The worst that can happen is they decline. I hope Audioholics' staff takes our most popular recommendations and contacts the applicable manufacturers with review requests.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I don't think AH contacts manufacturers. My guess is it needs to be the other way around. I'd definitely like to see a review of the Submersive :)

R

rushwj

Audioholic
i'd love to see Rhythmik or Epik subs get reviewed. i wouldn't worry too much about the JL audio subs - once they're out, they'll be all over most print publications for sure (even if AH does a better/more complete job).

J

jjackkrash

Audioholic Intern
There seem to be at least a few PB-13 Ultra owners on AVS who recently bought SubM HP(s) and are comparing them on the PB-13 Ultra and SubM threads on AVS. I think a Canadian group buy had something to do with it. Anyway, the subjective reviews seem pretty positive for both subs but are favoring the SubM, for anyone who is interested and whats to check it out.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis