Sub Options - SVS, HSU or Epik

K

kalts

Audiophyte
Hi All,

I'm kind of really torn between the following options.

SVS PB10 NSD
SVS PB12 NSD
Epik Sentinnel or Epik Vanquish (I'm ready to wait until Jan)
HSU VTF2 MK3

My room is close to 3000 cubic feet. We watch lot of movies and about 20-30% music. I dont want the sub to really shake the room but I just want it to sound good with movies and music. Can you please advise?

Thanks a ton!

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Hi All,

SVS PB10 NSD
SVS PB12 NSD
HSU VTF2 MK3

My room is close to 3000 cubic feet. We watch lot of movies and about 20-30% music. I dont want the sub to really shake the room but I just want it to sound good with movies and music. Can you please advise?

Thanks a ton!
I would recommend the best SVS sub you can afford. A subwoofer that is better than it needs to be will not hurt anything, but one that is less than it needs to be will.

njedpx3

njedpx3

Audioholic General
Hi All,

SVS PB10 NSD
SVS PB12 NSD
HSU VTF2 MK3

Thanks a ton!

Kalts,

You have a pretty large room. I love SVS. Hsu is also very good. Don't really know about Epick so can't comment.

Since you room is large, have you considered two subs ? I think two SVS PB10 NSDs would sound very nice.

Peace and Good Sound!

Forest Man

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Kalts,

You have a pretty large room. I love SVS. Hsu is also very good. Don't really know about Epick so can't comment.

Since you room is large, have you considered two subs ? I think two SVS PB10 NSDs would sound very nice.

Peace and Good Sound!

Forest Man
Hey, (2) PB10-NSD's would be splendid no doubt. Just imagine what (2) PB12-NSD's would do.........LOL!!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Cheers,

Phil

njedpx3

njedpx3

Audioholic General
Hey, (2) PB10-NSD's would be splendid no doubt. Just imagine what (2) PB12-NSD's would do.........LOL!!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Cheers,

Phil
Phil is correct if you budget $$ allows two(2) PB12-NSDs that would be better :)

Peace and Good Sound,

Forest Man

zeuiax

zeuiax

Audioholic
Is it worth spending extra $125 on HSU VTF3 MK3 over SVS PB12 NSD??

B

bigpow

Audioholic Intern
not in your list, but just FYI: elemental design subs are pretty good.

K

kalts

Audiophyte
Thank you all so much!
Sub placement will be a a constraint for me and I have to rule out two subs. Will it be considered a upgrade to go from PB10NSD to PB12NSD or HSU VTF2 MK3? PB12 and VTF2 are almost 100$ more than PB10. Not sure if it is a 'real' upgrade.
Thanks again.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
The general rule is the larger the woofer the lower it goes so the PB12 will be an upgrade from the PB10 also if floor space is a concern you could go with the PC12-NSD it is a cylinder sub has the same specs as the PB12 just a small foot print and it weighs less which means shipping will be less as well. Just food for thought.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Thank you all so much!
Sub placement will be a a constraint for me and I have to rule out two subs. Will it be considered a upgrade to go from PB10NSD to PB12NSD or HSU VTF2 MK3? PB12 and VTF2 are almost 100$ more than PB10. Not sure if it is a 'real' upgrade.
Thanks again.
As I mentioned in my review, the PB12-NSD does EVERYTHING the PB10-NSD does, but you get more of it. That is, more extension/output down low that is quite noticeable. However, the PB10-NSD was a bit faster with music and had a unique pitch imho. Not sure why, but it was noticeable in my set-up regardless of where I placed it.

If space is such an issue, then why not consider a down firing sub such as this here:

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/lfm1plus.html

At one time, I had (2) of them and it was absolutely fantastic. Great for music and just as good with ht. Dr. Hsu had a major role in designing it. Moreover, I think you would be hard pressed to go wrong with any of these mentioned. My room at one time was around 3000 Ft.^3 and a single PB10-NSD or PB12-NSD was not enough for my needs. It may be enough for you as I tend to be very picky. Good luck in your final decision. ;):);)

Cheers,

Phil

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis