Sub options for music with Axiom M80’s

M

mdrew

Audioholic
Howdy,

I’ve had my M80’s for about two weeks now and could use some educating from y’all regarding sub woofers. I am not an audiophile or anything remotely close to it. I’m learning from scratch here, so please bear with my ignorance.

I’m driving the speakers with a Harmon Kardon 7200. I have them set up on the ‘second zone’ which is actually the 6 and 7th channels for the surround back. The speakers sound great with plenty of base, mids and highs, and will play louder than I can stand. But at lower volumes, something just seems to be lacking and I can’t resist the urge to turn up the volume, which is counter productive to conversations when I have guests over. Several folks here advised me that I would need a sub, and they would appear to have been correct. I was trying to avoid a sub due to the room lay out, but now I’m thinking that a sub would help fill the room with some light background sound when I have parties where folks actually want to communicate with each other. I have another string that I started a few weeks back when I was shopping for speakers. That string has my room specifics. In summery, it’s a 26 X 32 open room with vaulted ceilings.

Here’s my earlier thread…….. http://www.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3228

I am looking for suggestions / input in regards to running a stereo sub woofer in this space with the M80’s. I don’t know squat about subs, what types there are, how they are hooked up, powered, where to put them, etc…. Some questions I have are, do I need a separate amp to run one under the multi room function through the pre-outs, or can I still use the surround back amps to power the speakers and a sub woofer both? It would seem a shame to not be able to take advantage of the HK’s power. Do some subs sound better with music than HT? Does size really matter?

……..mike

U

Unregistered

Go to the axiom threads there are numerous posts on your question. Alan loft has an archived article on how to set them up. An SVS or HSU sub seem among the better ones.

M

mdrew

Audioholic
thank you.

I have a string going now that has had a lot of input so far. I think I've got it figured out, almost.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis