Sub on a Budget; <$250

S

Suds

Junior Audioholic
Hey all, I am currently in the market for a budget Sub Woofer. After reading up a bit on the subject, I realize I'd be better off spending upwards of $400 for one, but unfortunately my budget won't allow that. I am also in a fairly confined space, so I don't need top of the line. Just a decent Sub Woofer that will fill my room, which is no bigger than 13'x13'(Not sure, can't measure it ATM). This will also have to sit under my desk(2.1 System at Computer), but there is plenty of space down there.

So after reading up a bit, I've got a couple Subs in mind. First, the Dayton Sub-120 which is recommended a lot. I've also been thinking about a BIC H-100. Those are the 2 I've seen recommended the most.

I've seen plently of threads like this, but I was hoping for specific recommendations for my room layout/size/whatever. And because of this, I've included a quick sketch of my room layout(Epic Paint Skills). :D

S

Suds

Junior Audioholic
294 dollars shipped for cherry or moho finish
254 dollars shipped for satin black (but backordered)

http://av123.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=41&category_id=9&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=37

8" x-sub subwoofer

Size: (H x D x W): 18.19" x 13" x 9.13" / 477mm x 330mm x 203mm
Currently, AV123 has the Moho and Cherry finish for $209 + Shipping. Pending more responses, I might bite. The Moho would go great with my desk, and I heard the build quality is really top notch.

Last edited:
mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
Currently, AV123 has the Moho and Cherry finish for $209 + Shipping. Pending more responses, I might bite. The Moho would go great with my desk, and I heard the build quality is really top notch.
i didnt know they had a sale. thats a good price there.

T

TheP1zzaMan

Audiophyte
Velodyne

If you have a local Circuit City, stop by and see if they have any
Velodyne dps10's in stock. The price was about $260 on clearance 2 weeks ago but last Sunday it dropped to around $170.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
The x-sub from av123 is a really sharp looking sub. I have the satin black and it looks spectacular. I can just imagine how nice the real wood palisander, moho or cherry would look like:D. From my experiencing owning this sub it adds a nice roundness and extension to those the low frequencies for music. Tight and punchy! However if you are looking for massive output during those explosions during movies it is not going to happen with this baby, you are not going to get earth rattling floor shaking bass.

Rnatalli did a review comparison between this x-sub and the HSU STF-1

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43863

tn001d

tn001d

Senior Audioholic
No doubt the 8 inch AV123 sub is good, but i like to argue that a 12 inch Boston Acoustics sub would be a better value and sound for $250 delivered. See the link on previous post.

R

r33v35

Audioholic Intern
Check out the paradigm PDR-12. I own one and i really like. It does the job in my 20x20 room. I would love to hear it in something smaller.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
If you can wait another month, Partsexpress should have the new Dayton HSU subs which are in this price range.

engtaz

engtaz

Full Audioholic
If you can wait a little Tweek City Audio has their Scamp 10 for a great price.

engtaz

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I have the Dayton Sub 120 for my bedroom system, and it sound excellent for what it costs, and it has plenty of output. My friend has the 10" version,and it too sounds good, and still has plenty of output.

T

tech

Audiophyte
I think the Dr. Hsu BIC H-100 is a good small room/small budget solution. If a little DIY doesn't scare you I'd also keep a lookout for this this Dayton 15" kit when it's on sale.
what do you guys think of what he posted (not the diy part)?

S

Suds

Junior Audioholic
How does the PSB SubSeries 5i and MA ASW100 compare to the other Sub Woofers suggested? I have yet to decide on my speakers, but I plan on purchasing from SaturdayAudio and, depending on which speaker I chose(PSB B15/25 or MA B2), I plan on getting the matching Sub Woofer they offer for a discounted price.

The PSB SubSeries 5i is quite a bit more than I expected at $369, but I figure the jump in quality may be worth it.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
How does the PSB SubSeries 5i and MA ASW100 compare to the other Sub Woofers suggested? I have yet to decide on my speakers, but I plan on purchasing from SaturdayAudio and, depending on which speaker I chose(PSB B15/25 or MA B2), I plan on getting the matching Sub Woofer they offer for a discounted price.

The PSB SubSeries 5i is quite a bit more than I expected at $369, but I figure the jump in quality may be worth it.
PSB Subseries 6i is a good performer. Have not auditioned the 5i sorry.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis