Sub Not Working On 6 Channel Input

Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Audioholic
Hi,

Long time since I've been on. I have a Denon 3910 cd player and the sub does not work when I use the 6 channel input on my receiver for SACD. I use RCA cables for that. It works on everything else. Any ideas? Thanks.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Is this the first time you have used the multi channel outputs? Typically you need to set up the outputs in the players menu. Also note that there isn't any bass management on the multi channel inputs on almost all avrs.

Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Audioholic
I just noticed there is a sacd low pass filter value to be set up on the 3910. I have two bookshelf Boston Acoustics VS 260 and an Energy ES12" sub. What do you think I should set the filter at?

Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Audioholic
Sorry. To answer your first question. No, I have been using the multi channel inputs. I used to have a couple of Infinity Kappa 8's and a separate power amp so I did not need extra bass. The bookshelfs are ok, but lacking bass.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Looks like the 3910 has bass management, what crossover setting do you have it set at? Why are you using the analog outs, no digital input on your receiver? What receiver?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Unless the majority of your music is on sacd, id use the digital output and let the avr handle the bass management. For the low pass I'd start around 120hz

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Need to look at the manual but it looks like you can do dsd over hdmi. What avr?

Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Audioholic
I have an ancient Yamaha RX V1300 that does not have HDMI. The hdmi on the 3910 is an old one too. Digital does not work with the 3910. Only with the rca's into the 6 channel input. Unless I had the old Denon with the Denon link.

Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Audioholic
I changed the sacd to 100hz. There is only 50 and 100. I found in my old manual that there is a bass enhancer setting for the sub. It only works for two channel and not for digital. That works for me. I use digital for redbook and the sub is now working on the rca's in the 6 channel input.. Thanks for your help and ideas. It got me going at it again. Should I leave it on 100hz or 50hz? I have it on 100 and it sounds great. Pink Floyd sacd Dark Side. Finally some bass.

And now for a completely different question. Mod the 3910 or get a newer Marantz cd/sacd player? This 3910 is old but still working like a champ.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Keep it at 100hz with your current speakers, and I have no idea what mod would be worthwhile. The next upgrade after speakers and sub, would be avr. If your happy with the first two get a new avr. Using Redbook via multi channel analog is outdated. Id improve the overall system response with room measurement and either auto or manual EQ. No need to play with anything else

I changed the sacd to 100hz. There is only 50 and 100. I found in my old manual that there is a bass enhancer setting for the sub. It only works for two channel and not for digital. That works for me. I use digital for redbook and the sub is now working on the rca's in the 6 channel input.. Thanks for your help and ideas. It got me going at it again. Should I leave it on 100hz or 50hz? I have it on 100 and it sounds great. Pink Floyd sacd Dark Side. Finally some bass.

And now for a completely different question. Mod the 3910 or get a newer Marantz cd/sacd player? This 3910 is old but still working like a champ.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis