O

Ostler

Audiophyte
I am looking to buy a subwoofer for my house and need some advice. My budget is $600-900 and willing to spend the latter if it’s a great deal. The room size that it will go in is 12 L x 20 W x 8 H. My Primary uses of the HT will be more so for Movies and TV. It would be about 70% TV/Movies, 20% Gaming, 10% Music. I have on major obstacle that I am not sure what to do about. The room that I want to put it in opens up to another room and not sure what sub or Subs that I need to keep great acoustics for the room. I have a couple of Questions. First, given the room size what would be great sub to buy? Considering sub positioning, is there any spot that should I position it for optimal sound to counter the opening to the other room? And, is it recommended to buy two?

K

kenhoeve

Audioholic
$900 will get you an awesome sub for the space. better to spend all that cash on one awesome sub than 2 boring subs. use the room calculator at velodyne.com to get an idea what sub you need. I think they are a little on the aggressive side, but it will give you an idea. People here will give you lots of ideas from svs, deftech, velodyne, etc...

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
First I recommend that you e-mail both of these companies and ask their recommendations. Both companies have excellent customer service, and produce some of the best performing subwoofers.

www.svsound.com
www.hsuresearch.com

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Considering sub positioning, is there any spot that should I position it for optimal sound to counter the opening to the other room? And, is it recommended to buy two?
An easy way to determine placement for your subwoofer is to. Place the subwoofer in the listening area (sweet spot). Then you move slowly around the room listening to find the position that the sub sounds the best. If this position is no good, then try to place it in a corner at the front of the room.

ivseenbetter

ivseenbetter

Senior Audioholic
I'm onboard with Mazer's suggestiong for the MFW 15. I think it is a great value, plus you can get it in smart looking veneers!

annunaki

annunaki

An easy way to determine placement for your subwoofer is to. Place the subwoofer in the listening area (sweet spot). Then you move slowly around the room listening to find the position that the sub sounds the best. If this position is no good, then try to place it in a corner at the front of the room.

When doing this, make sure that your head is at the level the sub will be.

O

Ostler

Audiophyte
Yes, Thanks to all you for your reply. I am actually looking to get one with a black veneer to go with my Paradigm Monitor 7's and Yamaha rx-v663. Would any of you know if the 663 would be powerful enough to drive the MFW-15 with out sacrificing any of the MFW capabilities??

ivseenbetter

ivseenbetter

Senior Audioholic
The 663 is just sending a signal to the AMP already installed on the MFW. It doesn't really "drive" it...so the quick answer is that it can drive it no problem. I actually have the 663 and will be using it with the MFW (once it arrives). Midcow gave you a great option too. In this price range there are a ton! of great choices to pick from. I chose the MFW because they were having a great deal on them at the time I purchased. They are still a good deal now...but at the current price they are charging I may have gone with the SVS option listed above. I think you can't really go wrong though. There isn't one that stands head and shoulders above the rest and yet they are all giving you tremendous performance for the price.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Would any of you know if the 663 would be powerful enough to drive the MFW-15 with out sacrificing any of the MFW capabilities??
These subs are self powered with their own internal amp. All your receiver is doing is sending the subwoofer the audio signal. :D

O

Ostler

Audiophyte
My soon-to-be HT room will have an opening of 12' of the 20' to another room on one of the side of the walls. Is there any way to position the sub to avoid any disruption. Will it be better to put the sub in one of the corners beside the TV at the 12' end or Place behind my chairs in the corners? Is there way to combat this?

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
My soon-to-be HT room will have an opening of 12' of the 20' to another room on one of the side of the walls. Is there any way to position the sub to avoid any disruption. Will it be better to put the sub in one of the corners beside the TV at the 12' end or Place behind my chairs in the corners? Is there way to combat this?
trail and error, and EQing:D

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
trail and error
Or tweaking is another word. Only you are going to be able to determine which location is ideal for you. Unless your inviting us all over to figure this out together? :D

O

Ostler

Audiophyte
Thanks so much for all your help!! I have it now narrowed down to two. Either the MFW-15 or VTF-3, Not quite sure which one to get. Might just have to flip a coin. I see both are on special too. Its the 16hz vs the 18hz and 12" vs 15" that makes it tough. :confused:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis