Sub for Pioneer FS52

W

wtrimble

Junior Audioholic
Hello all,

So my brother with no audio experience was looking for a set of floor standing speakers on a tight budget and I naturally directed him to Andrew Jones Pioneer FS52. He is now looking for a subwoofer to use as well. He is looking only to spend around ~$100 on the subwoofer. He plays a lot of electronic, dub step, and hip hop music. I told him that a cheap sub may actually hurt the sound quality out of the speakers, but he still wants to get one.

Is the Andrew Jones Pioneer subwoofer SW-8Mk2 the way to go? Are their any other that are better than this subwoofer that he could pick up used at the same price? He has a fairly large listening area with tall ceilings and an open connected kitchen so I don't think any subwoofer in this price range would be sufficient. But just looking for the best option in this case. Thanks for the help

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Your brothers combination of budget and expectations is absolutely unrealistic and I am confident that this is the lesson he will learn the hard way.
If the room was smaller - Dayton sub1200 would do, but due to large room and open space your bro needs to step up to this sub to be least offensive in this price point:
http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sub-1500-15-150-watt-powered-subwoofer--300-634
He also should scour 2nd hand and maybe get luckly

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Maybe it's just me, but every time I hear Electronic, Dub Step, and Hip Hop; it seems to be played on a one-note sub. Perhaps that is the preferred sound for this music?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Some of that electronic music like some dubstep pieces do have a repetitive bass line which they do not move from much. Many of them just bang 40 or 50 Hz fundamentals over and over again on the kick drum. Some pieces do have some creative use of bass though. For example, check out the bass line from this tune from Eskmo:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis