sub final decision ?

A

andreaxx61

Audiophyte
writing from italy and would need your help in finding the final best buy ..for my budget .-))

sunfire d12 , velo spl800 , deftech supercube II , velo cht-15r ...

I'm sunfire oriented but still many doubts ...
Sub will be used for 100% movies , room is 6 mtrs x 6 mtrs

thanks in advance
andrea

annunaki

annunaki

How high are your ceilings? You have a moderately sized room. A 12" will work pretty well but a 15" would fill the room best. Especially if the ceilings are 2.5-3 meters or higher.

You are aware that the CHT-15 from Velodyne is a discontinued model right?

The SPL-800 is too small for your room to fill it adequately. The Supercube II may be borderline as to whether it would work well for your room only because it uses two passive radiators. The Sunfire D-12 would probably work fairly well in your room.

The DLS-5000R is the replacement for the CHT-15. That would be my choice for that room based upon your selections. It should play the deepest and allow for the most output. It is completely configurable based upon your listening habits as well.

A

andreaxx61

Audiophyte
How high are your ceilings? You have a moderately sized room. A 12" will work pretty well but a 15" would fill the room best. Especially if the ceilings are 2.5-3 meters or higher.

You are aware that the CHT-15 from Velodyne is a discontinued model right?

The SPL-800 is too small for your room to fill it adequately. The Supercube II may be borderline as to whether it would work well for your room only because it uses two passive radiators. The Sunfire D-12 would probably work fairly well in your room.

The DLS-5000R is the replacement for the CHT-15. That would be my choice for that room based upon your selections. It should play the deepest and allow for the most output. It is completely configurable based upon your listening habits as well.
thanks for your reply !

well, my celining is 3,5 metres and the cht-15 if is obsolete in your country is still alive in mine !! is the same story , we are a little behind for technology ...

However , at this point I would have to choose between a CHT-15 and a Sunfire d12 ...

what you would do ? I guess you will go for the D12 but have to say that the velo with the 15'' woofer makes me think about ....

will wait for your further comments
thanks again from italy
andrea

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
actually, the CHT-15R is exactly the same model as the DLS-5000R except the CHT-R series is 220v.

I have two btw.

for movies, I lean towards the louder, ported subwoofers. I'd recommend the CHT-R (important emphasis on the R) over the small sealed sub options you have.

edit: the CHT models without the R is the predecessor to both the CHT-R and DLS-R (110v model) which was available both in 220v and 110v

A

andreaxx61

Audiophyte
actually, the CHT-15R is exactly the same model as the DLS-5000R except the CHT-R series is 220v.

I have two btw.

for movies, I lean towards the louder, ported subwoofers. I'd recommend the CHT-R (important emphasis on the R) over the small sealed sub options you have.

Honestly was thinking the same but is also true I never listen to a small D amplified sub...tomorrow will have the chance to see and listen a sunfire D8 , not the same but I guess will give me an idea ...

can you just tell me if the cht 15r (600w) can be compared to a sunfire d12 ( 1000 w) .. prices are plus minus equivalent but not sure about the final result

thanks a lot
andrea

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
http://www.audiologica.co.uk/index_files/sunfire_d12.htm

the sunfire, based on specs can probably go low, but cannot match the CHT-15R's output in the all important 30-80hz range.

the sunfire looks to be a 12"er in a small sealed box versus the ported 15"er on the cht-r which btw also sports a 1000w amp (the 600w rating has been edited already, if you check the velodyne website). not that the amplifier rating is important.

the size of these on the other hand are on opposite sides of the scale. the sunfire is pretty smallm and the cht-r is huge.

if you don't care about the size, I would still recommend the CHT-R

annunaki

annunaki

With a 3.5 meter ceiling the choice is easily the CHT-15R. It will allow for the most output in a room of that size. You are looking at about 4,400 cu.ft. or roughly 1,400 cu. meters. That is a fairly large area to try and pressurize for home theater. The 15" Velodyne would definitely be my choice for that room. The 15" offers larger surface area on the driver over the 12". In addition to that it also offers port surface area which aids in output. The Velodyne is good down to 23hz +/-3db (unsure of the output level though). Useable in room response will most likely be 5hz or so lower than that.

A

andreaxx61

Audiophyte
With a 3.5 meter ceiling the choice is easily the CHT-15R. It will allow for the most output in a room of that size. You are looking at about 4,400 cu.ft. or roughly 1,400 cu. meters. That is a fairly large area to try and pressurize for home theater. The 15" Velodyne would definitely be my choice for that room. The 15" offers larger surface area on the driver over the 12". In addition to that it also offers port surface area which aids in output. The Velodyne is good down to 23hz +/-3db (unsure of the output level though). Useable in room response will most likely be 5hz or so lower than that.
my friend,this w\e had the chance to listen to a dd8 (not a dd 12) and a cht-15r , well, the truth is that the dd was more precise , with a short and violent impact , on the other side the cht had more ''prolonged sound '' , there was still the impact but is like it was not stopping at the right point ...sorry but cant explain better ; the thing is that in a room like mine with ceiling so high the emphasis on the bass is even more and what I need , I guess , is a stuff who plays loud for sure but with a ''dry'' sound, don't know if explained well .... this is the feeling I had listening to both the ''little monsters,,

however , still some doubts ...-)))

annunaki

annunaki

So you are saying you liked the accuracy of the DD in the sealed enclosure. Well now, you are not really comparing apples to apples are you. ;) You will have to ask yourself what is more important, real accurate bass or "feel it" type low end response. If you want both you are going to have to up your budget. Based upon what you have said though you may be better off with the Sunfire D12. The best option is to listen to what you can. Remember though it will sound different in your room vs. what is sounds like in the store. Especially an 8" woofer.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
there is no Velodyne DD8, so I'm guessing it's either a:

Velodyne DD10

or

Sunfire D8

which is it?

i'm guessing the sunfire ...

A

andreaxx61

Audiophyte
So you are saying you liked the accuracy of the DD in the sealed enclosure. Well now, you are not really comparing apples to apples are you. ;) You will have to ask yourself what is more important, real accurate bass or "feel it" type low end response. If you want both you are going to have to up your budget. Based upon what you have said though you may be better off with the Sunfire D12. The best option is to listen to what you can. Remember though it will sound different in your room vs. what is sounds like in the store. Especially an 8" woofer
you are totally right .. indeed , I will buy a 12'' and I know it will sound different in my room . Let's say that comparing the sounds of the 2 subs ijn the store , I found that the more precise d 8'' (with high impact as well , don't forget....) was more nice sounding , if I can say that more ''violent,, yet with more definition ... honestly , am not sure to do the best choice but want to try , is the first time will have a sealed sub so... will see , and for sure will let you know :))

thanks for your help and support in this !!
ciao from italy , will post my impression later on for sure

andrea

Last edited by a moderator:
A

andreaxx61

Audiophyte
there is no Velodyne DD8, so I'm guessing it's either a:

Velodyne DD10

or

Sunfire D8

which is it?

i'm guessing the sunfire ...[

you guess right, was the sunfire d8 , a little watermellon :)) but so loud and deep and precise (i can imagine what the d12 will do..). Again, the velodyne was powerful as well but definitely less controlled and this , in my room , I suppose would create a mess of noise ... however, i promised will post the results and i will do that .

ciao from italy

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
isn't the velodyne SPL-R available there? that's a good series to demo if you like music without breaking the bank.

A

andreaxx61

Audiophyte
isn't the velodyne SPL-R available there? that's a good series to demo if you like music without breaking the bank

well, the spl-r series is available but it seems to me the velo spl is better for music than movies , the use I will do is 100% movies so ... the feeling I had was the sunfire was closer to the features required for deep impacts ...

But , again , I will only have confrimation to my impressions after few weeks (it seems the SUNFIRE , like this kind of sealed subs , doesn't even move the cone in the first ''days of life,, , it needs some days to pull out the voice .. wil see ).

talk you soon
andrea

A

andreaxx61

Audiophyte
But , again , I will only have confrimation to my impressions after few weeks (it seems the SUNFIRE , like this kind of sealed subs , doesn't even move the cone in the first ''days of life,, , it needs some days to pull out the voice .. wil see ).

And I 've been lucky having chance to try VELO SPL1000 , CHT-15 R and the sunfire HRS-12 . I needed few tests to decide and the sunfire is by far the most accurate of the three . Power and impact I would say are equivalent but the precision of the sunfire is amazing . I tested the subs with SHOOTER,LORD OF THE RINGS 2 TOWERS , SERENITY , MASTER & COMMANDER , well the clear impression is that velo 's go too far , they don't stop when they should and you have many times the ''tail,, of the impact . This don't happen with the sunfire as it shakes your oom when he has to do but then immediately stop with no '' final whooommm,, ... well, this is the result in MY room logically ...

ciao
andrea

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis