Sub crossover with HK 3480 Receiver

S

slipneo007

Audiophyte
Hi,

I will be replacing my Harman Kardon AVR 235 with a HK3480 stereo receiver in the very near future as I only have needs for a stereo receiver. My equipment is: PSB Image 6T Towers for mains and a SVS PB-10 for the sub, and obviously a Harman Kardon 3480 stereo receiver. I use the system almost entirely for music and have it hooked up through analog to my PC. The AVR 235 allowed the crossover to be set on the receiver, however the 3480 does not have any such settings that I am aware of, and my sub has no crossover settings on it. I would like to set my crossover in the 40-60Hz range as the towers go pretty low. I was looking into purchasing a crossover unit to achieve this and was referred to the paradigm x-30. However, these are tough to find and a little out of my price range. Could anyone please give recommendations for setting the crossover or recommend a unit that would suit my needs, preferably under $100?

Thank you in advance,
Ian

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
why don't you just keep the 235?

take the money you're going to spend on a separate crossover and the 3480 to buy an external amp -> ONLY if you think the 235 can't handle your towers.

whatever happens ... just keep your 235.

if you really really need a crossover, check out the Behringer website, I think they have a crossover for about 100 bucks.

Last edited:
S

slipneo007

Audiophyte
Well my reasoning in choosing the 3480 is that I only have a need for a stereo receiver and I do think the 235 is holding me back power wise. So you think that going the route of an external amp would be better? If so what price range am I looking at?

Ian

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
I have both the 3480 and the 335. believe me, I'm itching to replace the 3480 with a receiver simply because it doesn't have the built in crossover.

when you use your towers with a subwoofer, they won't need that much power in the first place. how many ohms sensitivity are your speakers?

let's see: 100 bucks crossover plus 300 bucks 3480 = 400 bucks budget

Behringer A500 $180 120wpc x2 OR 330wpc x1 (you can get two if you want) -> disadvantage, no automatic on.

Rotel RB03 $300 70wpc x 2

Parasound NC275 $400+ I think 75wpc x 2

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
one more thing ... the PB10 has 1 input
most crossovers have left and right inputs and left and right outputs (except maybe the behringer crossover which has a subwoofer output but I don't know how it works)

PSB specs
http://www.sahavitayu.com/speaker/psb_image6T.html
6 ohm nominal
4 ohm minimum

I just noticed that you'll be setting a pretty low crossover of 40 ... a 60-80hz setting should relieve your towers AND receiver a lot of work. (even for the 3480 - who's 120wpc rating is a little bit suspect)

maybe you do need the outboard amp when you keep your 235 and plan to use a low crossover. up to you really.

Last edited:
S

slipneo007

Audiophyte
Ok I will go the way of adding an amp. Do you think the Behringer A500 will give me a noticeable difference in power and/or quality over my 235? Also what would the best way be to hook an amp to my system, as my speakers are bi-ampable?

Thanks
Ian

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
External X-over can work, but I would have to say you would be better off just keeping the 235. Yes, the A500 will give you more power, but it is still going to sound basically the same just louder. Rather than spend $180 on an A500, I would sell the 235 take that and the $180 and get a better receiver OR, sell the PB-10 and get a 25-31PCi or PB-12, both of which do have a x-over.

Last edited:
mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
Ok I will go the way of adding an amp. Do you think the Behringer A500 will give me a noticeable difference in power and/or quality over my 235? Also what would the best way be to hook an amp to my system, as my speakers are bi-ampable?

Thanks
Ian
just remember the you'll have to turn ON and OFF the A500 manually everytime you want to use it.

from your receiver's pre-outs to the amps inputs to your speaker's binding posts.

if you use a gauge 12 or gauge 14 cable, there's no need to bi-wire your towers.

some people say an external amp will sound no different than your receiver.
some people say it does.
I say, the A500 is more equipped to handle lower ohm speakers, and the peace of mind it will give you is worth it.

S

slipneo007

Audiophyte
Ok, I am really leaning towards the A500 at this point....the manual on/off does not bother me. I guess my final question is: is it worth it to add an amp to my system? My speakers are rated at 150 watts and my 235 is only about 55 or 60.

Ian

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It doesn't matter what your speakers are rated at, that is the MAX rating, not what they need.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
simple answer: I found it to be worth it on my systems.

S

slipneo007

Audiophyte
OK thanks a lot for the responses, I will go with the A500.

Ian

S

slipneo007

Audiophyte
When looking around I found many other options available for amps...is the A500 the recommended one to go with for a budget between 200 and 300? I stumbled across an audiosource 7t amp which appears to be very good. Is anyone familiar with this brand?

Ian

annunaki

annunaki

I have an H/K AVR-330 and I upgraded to an external A500 and it made a pretty noticeable difference.

Unless the sub has a built in crossover with stereo rca inputs and outputs I would suggest keeping the AVR-235. If it has stereo rca ins and outs you can use the pre-out main-in on the H/K3480. You then just set your crossover frequency on the subwoofer itself.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
just remember that most all subwoofers output a fixed 80hz low pass.
so if you plan on playing with 40-60-80hz crossover, you're really gonna need your AVR.

I can't speak for the audiosource amp. never heard it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis