Sub choices for this system

M

mrpotto

Enthusiast
Will spend up to $1k on a sub to go w/ below system.

B & W floorstanders 704s
B & W HTM7 Center
Pioneer 50 inch 720 plasma
Yamaha RX v1700 Receiver
Oppo 97 HD DVD/CD Player
Cheapo Energy surrounds
Cheapo Energy Sub

Next on my list is a sub upgrade then perhaps the surrounds. Thoughts please.

Thanks!

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
How big is your room?

For your budget, you could go with a nice SVS plus series or a big HSU sub.

M

mrpotto

Enthusiast
How big is your room?

For your budget, you could go with a nice SVS plus series or a big HSU sub.
Its a midzied room but sure of the exact size off the top of my head. Its a den in a house with 2800 sq. feet.

Thanks for your thoughts - I'll check out your selections.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
A PB-12plus should do really well in there. Also look at the VTF3-MK3 or VTF3-HO from Hsu.

Question, what Energy surrounds do you have?

SheepStar

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
Knowing the cubic feet of the room in question is necessary to really zero in on a recommendation. Perhaps you can do some measuring tonight.

Nick

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Knowing the cubic feet of the room in question is necessary to really zero in on a recommendation. Perhaps you can do some measuring tonight.

Nick
He already gave us the Cu.ft.

"Its a den in a house with 2800 sq. feet."

SheepStar

M

mrpotto

Enthusiast
Clarification : my house has a total of 2800 sq feet. My den is something less. I'll see if I can measure tonight.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Whoops, misread.

Mrpotto, usually the ceiling is 8 feet high, just measure the Length and Width(unless it is vaulted or much taller then you).

And what Energy surrounds do you have again?

SheepStar

M

mrpotto

Enthusiast
Energy surrounds and sub

From the connossoir series purchased a about 4 years ago for $219. They get the job done I guess. The sub is an Energy S.82.

KC23

KC23

Audioholic
Its a midzied room but sure of the exact size off the top of my head. Its a den in a house with 2800 sq. feet.

Thanks for your thoughts - I'll check out your selections.
That is a pretty small room. Best bang for your buck (although it is a big unit) would be the HSU 2.3. Is plenty big for that size room and you'll have enough money to buy axiom Q8 surrounds (outstanding surround speakers). Both will put you just over $1,000 and you'll be done!

hsuresearch.com
axiomaudio.com

Ps you can save a little money by buy off of axiom factory outlet (on home page), but it'll take a bit longer to get with you. Axion also includes shipping and they are from Canada so no tax if you live in the states.

M

mrpotto

Enthusiast
That is a pretty small room. Best bang for your buck (although it is a big unit) would be the HSU 2.3. Is plenty big for that size room and you'll have enough money to buy axiom Q8 surrounds (outstanding surround speakers). Both will put you just over $1,000 and you'll be done!

Specifically is this what you refer to as the HSU 2.3? (HSU VTF-2 Mk3)?

VTF-2 Mk3

· World's first truly modular subwoofer series – Future proof design
· Class Leading +/- 2db @ 18Hz frequency response – Measured outside and away from reflective boundaries
· Only subwoofer in class to have variable port tuning – Choice of maximum output/widest dynamic range or maximum extension/deepest bass
· 12” driver – Refined over several years time, very reliable, high excursion, high mid/upper bass headroom
· 1000 watts peak amplifier power – Highest headroom amplifier in class (4x Peak-to-RMS ratio)
· Full-featured amplifier – Bypassable 24 dB/Oct crossover, continuously variable 30-90Hz low pass filter, high level and low level inputs
· DUAL 3” ports with wide flares – Moves up to 2x as much low-turbulent air vs other subwoofers in class per a given port tuning
· Patent-pending turbocharger ready – Moves as much air as TWO of the same subwoofer with port plug for a given level of port noise
· Patent-pending mid-bass module ready – Wider dynamic range, lower intermodulation distortion, reduced room effects, higher output, higher sound quality
· 22”x15”x23” HxWxD – Ideal endtable height and minimized width for nice profile
· Well-braced and solid enclosure
· No-cost finish options – Black or Maple (available only in Black right now)
· 7 year warranty on woofer, 2 year warranty on amplifier
· Hard Launch – SHIPPING NOW!!!
· Introductory Price – $469
· How to order – See below
Attached Images

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis