Sub advice pls.....

legendary70

legendary70

Audioholic
Hi. I would like some opinions on this sub. I am going to meet up with this guy selling it on FB locally. He said it was purchased form CV. He states it is an awesome sub and that the bass is unreal. He is selling it to me for $70. I will be hooking it up to my Onkyo 7.2 surround tomorrow and put on a few movies and songs to see how it holds up. I am pretty sure it was manufactured in 2005? Those of you who are familiar with this sub what do yall think? should i go for it?

I currently have two onkyo subs firing from my living room Onkyo AV. It is currently on a crossover of 80. I have been told to put it on 100 crossover. any ideas on this crossover setting? I have two polk audio tower speakers and polk audio center and surrounds plus surround backs.

any input would be greatly appreciated. thx in advance. i included some pics of the sub.

this is the link i found to the sub.

http://www.cnet.com/products/cerwin-vega-ht-s10/specs/

http://www.ebay.com/rvw/Cerwin-Vega-...fer-/69618360/

Attachments

legendary70

legendary70

Audioholic
Ok. The first one is within budget. It's for my garage surround......aka PPV surround.

What is ur reasoning for me not getting it......curious.

My floor speakers are tsi400's polk audio. I have them setup to where all the bass comes from subs. I got 2 polk audio psw10's. I have them at 80. Advice?

Thx.

legendary70

legendary70

Audioholic
Actually that setup is my man cave lololol. The 7 speakers are Polk audio. I have another two surround sound setups.

one in the living room which runs on 2 polk audio floor speakers and center channel, 4 sony surrounds and two onkyo subs....all running on an onkyo AV.

I have the 3rd one (PPV setup) in the garage. that is a sony AV with two onkyo L and R, Sony C, 2 onkyo surrounds and i just bought it a sony 100w sub.

I am thinking (if it sounds good) of putting the cerwin vega either in the garage or living room.

legendary70

legendary70

Audioholic
hooked up the sub and tested it using transformers (new one), avengers and some songs on youtube. I can honestly say it sound great. nice deep sound. I really liked the way it through out the bass. i talked him down to 60. happy camper. thx for the advice.

legendary70

legendary70

Audioholic
what about the crossover....80 or 100 im guessing.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Around 100 Hz is when bass starts getting more directional. If you set your crossover that high, it can interfere with the imaging and sound stage of your mains. I'd lean toward crossing over @ 80, but ultimately you should trust your ears. If the placement of your towers puts their low range in a room null, then a 100Hz crossover point for your LFE channel might sound better.

One of these days you ought to graduate from those toy subs and save up for something that'll dip down into infrasonics (below 20Hz). That NXG that afterlife2 linked would be a nice step up; or if you could save up about $600, a plethora of options for more grown-up subs opens up for sound you didn't think was possible. Although I'm not surprised that you prefer the Cerwin Vega sub over your Onkyos, I suspect you're still missing half the LFE experience in your movies.

Heya afterlife2! Thought I'd stop by and see what's going on. Did this place fall apart without me?

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
LOL Rojo, you are always missed my friend. Sorry for the late reply Legend Rojo is right if you can save a little moire for the NXG you will have a great subwoofer for movies and music, although the Dayton 1000 or 1200 is no slouch for the price. I have it in a music setup and it does well and would be better than the Polk and Cerwin Vega for sure. Get your best Bass CD and try 80-120 crossover. Keep the sub volume between 12-2 o'clock.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis