Sub-$500 receiver recommendations (not Onkyo)?

E

ergalthema

Audioholic Intern
It's looking like my Onkyo TX-NR626 isn't going to actually pass through any 4K content like it said it would.

Considering I've had other issues with the unit, I'm looking for a Yamaha or Denon.

What I want:
• At least 3 HDMI inputs that can actually pass 4K Ultra HDR whatever anything through to my Hisense 55H8C.
• 5.1 channels (I probably won't ever add more speakers than that).
• Audio quality is very important. I've had mixed experience with Audyssey, but the general consensus sounds like I should look for something like that.
• The more flexible the routing options are (mixing video from input with audio from another), the better. I like to do things like play slideshows and listen to music (from Chromecast, turntable, CD player, etc.).
• Would really prefer if it had a built-in phono preamp
• Would prefer at least 3 RCA audio inputs (CD player, cassette deck, aux, etc.)
• Would prefer banana plug connections for the speakers

Really prefer something under $500.

I'm considering the Denon AVRS710W-R, Denon AVR-S510BT, Yamaha RX-V481, or Yamaha RX-V381... but I gues none of those meet all my preferences (especially phono pre). Any thoughts or suggestions?

Edit: Maybe I'm blaming Onkyo for HDMI standards issues that aren't their fault. After shopping around, it's still hard to beat all the features of the NR646. If the phono input has a preamp, I might end up going with that.

Last edited:
S

s002wjh

Junior Audioholic
so what issue you have with your onkyo? I was looking at tx8160 or Yamaha RN

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If the phono input has a preamp, I might end up going with that.
If it has an input labeled phono then it has the preamp/RIAA eq for using a turntable (and likely just for a moving magnet cartridge)

After I posted in your other thread I looked for the HDMI 2.0a/HDCP 2.2 specs on the 626 and couldn't find any confirmation. Although I'm not up on my 4k stuff generally, no personal interest in it....

E

ergalthema

Audioholic Intern
so what issue you have with your onkyo? I was looking at tx8160 or Yamaha RN
Onkyos are notorious for some issues. I had a little HDMI weirdness once, but that wasn't a big deal. But recently, the audio completely stopped working. It's a known issue. A factory reset fixed it, but people have said I can expect it to happen again. Supposedly, Onkyo is repairing them outside the warranty. So, that's something at least.

B

bricyboy

Audiophyte
Costco has the TSR 7810 which is the same as the 781 for less than $500. It meets just about all of your requirements (they also offer the 581 for less than $400 which may also meet your needs).

I have the 7810 and I am really enjoying it so far but don't have a 4k TV to run it through its paces...

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Costco has the TSR 7810 which is the same as the 781 for less than $500. It meets just about all of your requirements (they also offer the 581 for less than $400 which may also meet your needs).

I have the 7810 and I am really enjoying it so far but don't have a 4k TV to run it through its paces...
the Costco recommendation also gives you flexibility if you run in to problems. Their return policy, while amended and not as broad or pervasive as it used to be, is still pretty darned good. My experience with Costco and electronics has been excellent. They seem to do a great job of vetting their choices. And if one of those choices starts having problems (like you see a big pile of returns by the door) they are most accomodating in helping you out.

Thats more of an endorsement of Costco than the TSR 7810. But, I loves Costco.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis