Stumped on tree stumps??

Enthusiast
ok I just had a bit of a crazy idea while trying to decide on a controversial but at the same time classic style of speaker enclosure - i want to use hollowed out tree stumps/branches for a 5.1 speaker system. I don't really know much about this sort of thing but I think this could be a problem with regards to the density/porosity of the tree stump affecting the acoustics...anyone know if this is so or what I need to consider when choosing a material for a speaker enclosure? :confused:

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
ok I just had a bit of a crazy idea while trying to decide on a controversial but at the same time classic style of speaker enclosure - i want to use hollowed out tree stumps/branches for a 5.1 speaker system. I don't really know much about this sort of thing but I think this could be a problem with regards to the density/porosity of the tree stump affecting the acoustics...anyone know if this is so or what I need to consider when choosing a material for a speaker enclosure? :confused:
It's doable, but getting it to sound good will take a lot of work. It's easier to use MDF or Ply.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Just for starters;
It would be close to impossible to get the internal volumes the same.

It's a cool idea, I just don't think the end result would be worth your effort.

If you're married or plan on it soon; plan on having them relegated to the basement.:D

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hopelessly unrealistic pipe dream.

Guiria

Guiria

Senior Audioholic
If you do decide to fly blind, go solo, and build these speakers please post detailed pics :D

C

copperfox

Audioholic Intern
It would take quite a bit of labor and trial-and-error, but I don't see why it couldn't work.

Perhaps you should start by buying drivers that have known values for enclosure volume that they sound best at. That way you have a goal for the stump's expected interior volume before you begin working with any wood.

The stumps have to be structurally sound; obviously they can't have rot. You would have to hollow them out, then coat the entire inside with some kind of water tight sealant or epoxy. Then you can measure the internal volume by filling it with water, and then measuring the volume of water. You'd have to be careful with draining and pouring in order to get an accurate measurement. Don't add too much at once, let it try, then measure the volume again. Through trial and error you can get all the stumps to have equal (or close to it) volumes by filling them with additional epoxy until their volumes are decreased to meet your driver's expected value.

The tricky part would be how to route the wires out of the stump. ;)

Good luck.

C

copperfox

Audioholic Intern
Oh, and don't use green wood. If the stump is freshly cut then it may shrink or split over time as it dries. Make sure the stumps have had a while to sit and dry out.

I wouldn't worry about the density of the wood, just don't hollow out too much or you will make the side wall too thin. If you leave these outside you will want to either coat the underside or the entire exterior with polyurethane so they don't absorb water.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Every engineer knows it's easier to go down to home depot and buy the wood for this project. There are way to many variables you can't consider. What if vermin are living in the stumps. :)

Enthusiast
Lol thanks for the advice guys, sorry I didn't reply earlier but got sidetracked with other ideas. I still really like this idea as crazy as it is but think I may leave it for a later date when I know more - at least you've given me a rough idea of the considerations I'll have to make though ;) thanks again and if I do manage it there will definately be some pictures going up..

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Do the right thing and turn them into seats. :D

Then you can use a forest theme for the theater.

R

redass

Junior Audioholic
sounds like you're trying to build the enchanted tiki room..

strube

strube

Audioholic Field Marshall
lol, but does this not appeal??

I for one am all about you trying it out. Though it may not be my cup of tea, it is unique and creative, and if you want to give it a go, more power to you. I have seen crazier things hand-carved out of (carefully dried-very important) trees. If you like the end result, who cares what we think? Good luck! :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis