Study Says Blu-ray Can't Save Disc-Based Media

M

mg428

Audiophyte
So did I buy a region-modified Oppo BDP-83 for 750 including international shipping while owning a PS3 for vain?

cwall99

cwall99

Full Audioholic
It's like complaining that the restaurant wont let you leave with the glass your drink came in. It's just a delivery mechanism.

You are mixing the message and the messenger up.
Yeah, but when I buy a disk, I can pop that movie into my player whenever I want and view it.

If I'm buying a drink, I can't redrink it, so your analogy sorta breaks down pretty quick.

The other thing is that while impressive strides have been made in terms of the reliability of cable networks, what happens in those weird times when you lose your network.

Or, in this economy, maybe you lose your job? Hey, I'm in Detroit here, we have close to 20% unemployment in some areas.

If you can't pay for cable, you can't access your movies. However, if you have a disc and you still have your gear, you don't need to pay that monthly access fee just to watch media you bought the right to watch whenever and wherever you choose.

cwall99

cwall99

Full Audioholic
I actually didn't! Now that we have colluded in unnecessarily hijacking a perfectly fine thread, what's your gear in the photos up front? The speakers, the silver component, those treatments . . .
And those two SVS subs!!! Yikes!!!

basspig

basspig

Full Audioholic
How can most people tell the difference between DVD and Blu-ray, when they watch a 37" plasma or LCD from 15' away? That's how video is viewed in most homes that I've visited. Until that, and the "just good enough" philosophy (the Flip camera crowd) is addressed, real HD distribution will languish.

For me, watching Blu-ray on a 154" screen is heavenly, especially from 9' away. I have a lot of DVDs, too, and upscaled, they look about as good as what I've seen in the local Loew's theaters, but a good BD title can look breathtaking.

My big beef with Blu-ray is all that Java garbage they run. Sometimes it takes 7 minutes to get to the main menu from the moment the disc drawer closes. Other titles can be playing in mere seconds. It's extremely annoying when you want to show something to some guests without making them wait to the point of leaving the room, bored.

Oh, uhh.. one more thing... when all the ISPs impliment bandwidth capping and pay per gigabyte metered billing, all the streaming media will be out of business, literally in one night.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis