student project: 2 way bookshelf Loudspeaker looking for driver recommendation

B

Bertie Ford

Audiophyte
Hi I'm designing and building my first ever pair of loudspeakers which are a:
2 way, porthole, 1.1 cubic volume looking to use a 5/6-inch mid/bass driver and a 1-inch tweeter does anyone have any recommendations?
Any advice is hugely appreciated, quality is key

Kind regards,

Bert

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Hi I'm designing and building my first ever pair of loudspeakers which are a:
2 way, porthole, 1.1 cubic volume looking to use a 5/6-inch mid/bass driver and a 1-inch tweeter does anyone have any recommendations?
Any advice is hugely appreciated, quality is key

Kind regards,

Bert
You haven't mentioned a budget, but from a value standpoint it's hard to go wrong with Seas tweeters and woofers. They have several quality dome tweeters for $40 or less. The woofers are more expensive, but are fine performers. You might also check out the Zaph audio aluminum 5" driver from Madisound. It's easy to work with and very clean, although you won't get any bass below about 54 Hz. At $39, it's a terrific bargain.

B

Bertie Ford

Audiophyte
Hi Dennis, Thanks for the quick reply very much appreciated. Sorry, I forgot to put up budget and target frequency up. I'm looking to spend per driver £40 - 70 quality is essential, with a frequency range of
45Hz - 35kHz Idealy.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Hi Dennis, Thanks for the quick reply very much appreciated. Sorry, I forgot to put up budget and target frequency up. I'm looking to spend per driver £40 - 70 quality is essential, with a frequency range of
45Hz - 35kHz Idealy.
I wouldn't worry too much about getting up to 35 kHz. If you want to get below 50 Hz, you'll need a 6.5" woofer. The Seas ER18 would just be in your budget. You'll need a sturdy tweeter that can be crossed fairly low--the SEAS Prestige 27TFFC (H881) Textile Dome would do nicely. Both should be readily available on your side of the pond.

B

Bertie Ford

Audiophyte
Okay, 50 Hz would still be good if I was to use the drivers you specify. Do you know what would be the appropriate internal air volume, port hole dimensions and crossover design that would optimise the loudspeaker? Sorry for multiple questions the advice is highly respected.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Okay, 50 Hz would still be good if I was to use the drivers you specify. Do you know what would be the appropriate internal air volume, port hole dimensions and crossover design that would optimise the loudspeaker? Sorry for multiple questions the advice is highly respected.
Dennis knows a thing or two about designing speakers!

Read this thread:
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/new-diy-mtm-towers-designed-by-dennis-murphy-and-paul-kittinger.68531/

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis