Streaming music to Onkyo receiver often interrupted?

E

ergalthema

Audioholic Intern
I have a Onkyo TX-NR626, TP-LINK AC1750 Wireless Router, and a new Retina MacBook Pro. When I use NET\DNLA on the receiver to playback MP3s from my MacBook, a few songs will play and then the receiver will disconnect for a while. It will skip a few songs and they start playing again. No other devices are actively using the wi-fi, just a minimal of background work like email notifications.

It is very frustrating to be enjoying music then it stops in the middle of a song. It destroys the experience. I just moved to a new house and the router is new. The problem happened at my previous house with a different router. Why does the streaming get interrupted?

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I do ethernet and it works best. The problem is too many people on the wi-fi signal/channels is slowing everything down.

E

ergalthema

Audioholic Intern
I do ethernet and it works best. The problem is too many people on the wi-fi signal/channels is slowing everything down.
It's hard for me to believe that my MacBook and Phone, the only other devices connected to the wi-fi, are using that much bandwidth just to check for new emails. I'm pretty sure I have tested the streaming with my phone wi-fi off and the MacBook only using its media server.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
How is the Wi-Fi hooked up? Do you have a password?

E

ergalthema

Audioholic Intern
The internet is consistently fast to my MacBook from the router. The MacBook can stream HD video (and anything else) all day. It's the streaming from the MacBook to the receiver that has problems. Music streams okay most of the time to the receiver. It's just that after a few tracks, it will usually disconnect.

Again, I have used two different routers in two different towns (without many neighbors). The problem is consistently there.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I don't own a Mac maybe someone here can find a tweak to make it consistant?

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
A few things to add a
  • Wireless AC router is fine
  • Onkyo/Integra only use the 2.4Ghz Wifi Band and it is wireless N
  • Most routers that run in multi-mode (both bands will take a hit in performance) but not to the point you shouldn't be able to stream music
  • 2.4Ghz band (single band wifi) is the most congested, so certain devices, such as a 2.4Ghz band wireless phone etc. can cause interference
  • If your MacBook is 2012 and newer chances are it already uses the 5Ghz Band N, so that might not be a fair comparison.
  • I might suggest doing some tests pingtest, etc, but you might just end up having a bad wifi chip in your receiver
  • I have the integra 30.5 AVR and I have 0 issues streaming either by bluetooth or wifi DNLA, which is similar to your Onkyo.

I would play around with your router channel and settings to see if you can tweek it. If your router manufacturer has a support line, I would try that first. I might also test it with an direct connect and see if the problem still replicates.

Good luck!

E

ergalthema

Audioholic Intern
I might suggest doing some tests pingtest, etc, but you might just end up having a bad wifi chip in your receiver
I don't know how to do a pingtest.

I would play around with your router channel and settings to see if you can tweek it.
I can change the channel. So far, it has been set to Auto so it will "select the best channel".

I might also test it with an direct connect and see if the problem still replicates.
With the router wired to the receiver, DLNA says "No Server".

E

ergalthema

Audioholic Intern
I manually set the channel to 9. That didn't help. I refuse to try any other channels. Really frustrating that I can't get this to work.

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

Have you checked for firmware updates? What are the other routers you have used? How far away from the receiver is the router? I'm on Android and I use an app called wifi analyzer. This is helped me on numerous occasions with these kind of problems.. Sorry for all the questions, a little more info may help.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
If all fails then a mp3 player/android phone with bluetooth would be ideal. Have you tried with a tablet as well?

Last edited:
E

ergalthema

Audioholic Intern
Have you checked for firmware updates? What are the other routers you have used? How far away from the receiver is the router? I'm on Android and I use an app called wifi analyzer. This is helped me on numerous occasions with these kind of problems.. Sorry for all the questions, a little more info may help.
This has happened with two routers. I looked into updating the firmware, but it's ridiculously complicated to do. I have tried moving the router in different rooms, including right by the receiver and plugged directly into the receiver with Ethernet (did not find server when directly plugged in for some reason). I used wifi analyzer to see what channels were being used by other networks, and chose a channel with nothing on it.

If all fails then a mp3 player/android phone with bluetooth would be ideal. Have you tried with a tablet as well?
I use Google Play for MP3 streaming and it works fine. I have a large library of lossless files on my computer and want to be able to stream them directly to the receiver.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Maybe bluetooth is the way to go. Have you tried it?

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
I use Google Play for MP3 streaming and it works fine. I have a large library of lossless files on my computer and want to be able to stream them directly to the receiver.
Is this the new Mac, or another pc? Have you tried going directly from the pc/Mac with either cat5 or HDMI? When I had my Onkyo 608, I ran cat5 from the router directly to the ethernet input on the 608 and it worked perfectly. It also worked going directly from my pc to avr with HDMI.
It could be problem in the avr or the with settings since you have had the problem with two different routers.

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
Have you done this?
On page 67 of your manual, it will take you through the settings to get your network set up. Wired/wireless, ip address all that. It takes some time, but not too complicated if I remember right from when I set mine up.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis