Streaming Audio Equipment

O

OldAudio

Audiophyte
I do not have a home theater (yet), but I want to get streaming audio from a source other than my computer.

I have old equipment (Marantz amps, Mac speakers, etc.) but enjoy getting music throught my computer. I like the variety available on DeliCast, and it works fine in my systems through my computer. But I would like to get a "black box" that would provide the same internet radio function for DeliCast as well as some specific stations locally and around the world. I have tried Pandora and know that that is available on dozens of BluRay players and other devices, but I am specifically asking for recommended equipment that would allow searches for music and other audio streaming that is not tied to a few specific sources like Pandora. It could go through my TV or preferably have a screen built-in or work with a small monitor to provide visibility to the sources.

I will certainly appreciate your suggestions; thank you.

Brent

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I do not have a home theater (yet), but I want to get streaming audio from a source other than my computer.

I have old equipment (Marantz amps, Mac speakers, etc.) but enjoy getting music throught my computer. I like the variety available on DeliCast, and it works fine in my systems through my computer. But I would like to get a "black box" that would provide the same internet radio function for DeliCast as well as some specific stations locally and around the world. I have tried Pandora and know that that is available on dozens of BluRay players and other devices, but I am specifically asking for recommended equipment that would allow searches for music and other audio streaming that is not tied to a few specific sources like Pandora. It could go through my TV or preferably have a screen built-in or work with a small monitor to provide visibility to the sources.

I will certainly appreciate your suggestions; thank you.

Brent
I assume you have old equipment without DACs.

This is the best device for what you need. It will cost you an arm and a leg. I'm not sure it is available in the US. You can check with the US agent.

However, I would use your computer, with a good external DAC like one from RME. This is what I use. That is what I do, and have been really enjoying this year's Prom season from the BBC.

What have you got against using your computer?

By the way fro what you are trying to do, it sounds as if your system needs a massive update. A big part of your problem is hanging onto obsolete equipment.

If you want to listen to FM radio, CD,s and LPs, you equipment is fine. There is absolutely nothing wrong with those sources, far from it.

However, by the nature of your request you need to move on.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
If he wants to avoid the computer entirely, that will not fit the bill.
This is only partially correct, while you can't STORE your music on SB Touch, and it does require a computer to play YOUR music files.

However for internet streaming - you don't need a pc at all.

Option b: a bit more expensive, but more flexible:
Sonos ZonePlayer 90 + (* if needed) Sonos Control
Sonos control App is available for iphone/ipad/android platforms for free

B

bikdav

Senior Audioholic
Question

I guess that I'm a little out of the loop on the issue here, but can I ask a question? Why are you trying to avoid the computer? Most of them have mighty good audio circuits [many of those are excellent]. For example, I have my MAC hooked up to my receiver with a 3.5mm plug at the MAC, a ground loop isolator to cut out the buzz that is common with such hookups, and left and right RCA plug at the receiver. To cut to the chase, everything works and sounds great. Streaming devices are great if you want wireless music through the whole house. But short of that, why not just do things the easy way?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I guess that I'm a little out of the loop on the issue here, but can I ask a question? Why are you trying to avoid the computer? Most of them have mighty good audio circuits [many of those are excellent]. For example, I have my MAC hooked up to my receiver with a 3.5mm plug at the MAC, a ground loop isolator to cut out the buzz that is common with such hookups, and left and right RCA plug at the receiver. To cut to the chase, everything works and sounds great. Streaming devices are great if you want wireless music through the whole house. But short of that, why not just do things the easy way?
That's the question I asked the OP in my original reply. Only the OP can answer that. I suspect it has something to do with aesthetics. That is the reason behind the NAIM unit. In the UK there are a lot of concealed systems, especially among those with money in period listed houses.

B

bikdav

Senior Audioholic
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis