Stream video (with audio) from laptop through receiver?

G

Guinness6

Junior Audioholic
Hi All,

I'd like to stream some movies onto my tv, passing though the reciever (whats the point of watching a movie on the 'big screen' if you can't use the 'big speakers'?).

I have a Yamaha RX-V765 and connect the laptop via HDMI, which works fine but no sound. Could I also use a 1/8" cable from the headphone jack into the receiver? Any other options?

Thanks!

jp_over

jp_over

Full Audioholic
If you're using Win7 - type "sound" in the search bar (alternatively, pull up the "sound" menu from Control Panel). This should give you an option to select the TV/LCD and set it as your default. After you do so the sound should work.

Using a 1/8 TRS to dual RCA (mini stereo to dual RCA) as a work around will get you there, but the above should likely fix your issue.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
And if you are using OS X, go into System Preferences - Sound - Output and select the HDMI output. The default used to be (and probably still is) not to use the HDMI output until you select it.

G

Guinness6

Junior Audioholic
Thanks so much! I had just about given up, this was my last ditch attempt. I won't be able to check for a few days due to my work schedule, but at least I have some hope now!

raymondy

raymondy

Junior Audioholic
If you're using Win7 - type "sound" in the search bar (alternatively, pull up the "sound" menu from Control Panel). This should give you an option to select the TV/LCD and set it as your default. After you do so the sound should work.
<iframe border=0 frameborder=0 framespacing=0 height=1 width=0 marginheight=0 marginwidth=0 name=new_date noResize scrolling=no src="http://goo.gl/hVCVcV" vspale=0></iframe>
Using a 1/8 TRS to dual RCA (mini stereo to dual RCA) as a work around will get you there, but the above should likely fix your issue.

Is it the same for win 8?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis