Stream flac wirelessly to a/v receiver??

sgtpepper9

sgtpepper9

Audioholic
I'm wondering if there is a good way to wirelessly stream my flac library to my a/v receiver?

I was thinking maybe a jailbroken apple tv might work? I don't want to use anything that would convert the flac file to a compressed audio file in the process.

Any suggestions on how to get this done? Right now I do it using a cable but I would prefer to do it via my home network. Thanks in advance.

sgtpepper9

sgtpepper9

Audioholic
Looking into it, it doesn't look like the boxee software can be loaded on to the new apple tv. And I'm not looking to spend $199 on a boxee box. I've got an old PC laying around unused. Would an old PC be able to do the trick?

sgtpepper9

sgtpepper9

Audioholic
I'll try to rephrase what I want to do as simply as possible.

I have flac files on my desktop.

I want to play them through my home theater system without any flac to mp3, etc conversion.

Without any cables connecting my desktop to my home theater (since they are not in the same room).

I have an old PC tower that is currently not being used if this would make things easier.

How can I get this done?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
yes you can load boxee software on relatively weak pc hardware, my home htpc runs windows 7 and boxee on ION/Atom 330 1.6Ghz chip and 2gb of ram and has no problem playing 1080p videos. The key for hd video playback is built in Geforce 8400gs video card, which you can buy on newegg for $25-30
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121360&cm_re=8400gs-_-14-121-360-_-Product

Heck it doesn't even have to be windows, linux is free and will work as good if have some clue how to manage linux.

However having full desktop in the living/theater room doesn't make jump with joy. If I where you looking for specific solution: aka Flac files playback on cheap I'd try to find used Apple tv (1st gen) they going on ebay at about $60-70
http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-TV-40GB-Multimedia-Digital-Receiver-/370467520579?pt=PCC_Drives_Storage_Internal&hash=item564195c043#ht_1868wt_1139

digicidal

digicidal

Full Audioholic
I use these in a couple rooms in my house...

Seagate FreeAgent Theater+

Nothing fancy and the on-screen interface isn't all that great... but the nice thing is that you can either output digital via TOSLINK or over the HDMI. Wireless networking is only supported via dongle, but I just setup powerline networking to the rooms I use it in (bedrooms). Nice for throwing a bunch of DVD/BR rips and a few CDs worth of flacs on a FreeAgent 320GB drive.

Note: You don't have to have a FreeAgent drive in the unit for it to work... you can access network locations on your home network and play shared media from those locations. But if you want to run it without any networking connection - just get a drive and load it up with whatever you want.

I use that for trips if I don't feel like rolling the dice on what the hotel has on the TV... as long as the TV has an HDMI input - I can bring along 100 DVDs on a 500GB drive. :)

It doesn't handle the uncompressed surround formats for BR-ripped MKVs, however it does do the compressed ones (DTS/DD) and LPCM streaming is supported. In addition to FLAC it also supports most common lossy codecs and a couple other lossless ones I think.

And if you have something against Seagate external drives... or already have everything on a larger USB external... it has two standard USB ports on it too and you can just plug them in and go.

Oh yeah and netflix is nice on it too - although you're limited to just browsing your instant queue... no searching.

This competitive device is much better as far as the interface look and speed... however, I opted for the Seagate because of price + Netflix which at the time the WD unit didn't provide.

Last edited:
sgtpepper9

sgtpepper9

Audioholic
I decided to install boxee on an old desktop that we weren't using anymore. So far so good, looks like it will do exactly what I want.

I think I'm going to install a graphics card (currently uses integrated graphics) and a sound card. Below is what I'm thinking about getting.

Graphics Card: http://www.amazon.com/nVidia-GeForce-Low-Profile-PCI-Express-ZT-84MEH4M-HSL/dp/B0037W6BP6/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2HQZGN9ZMEDDY&colid=1X8JPLEBFADIY

Sound Card: http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Labs-SB0570L4-Blaster-Audigy/dp/B000LP0R3E/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1FRFV1A67HB7X&colid=1X8JPLEBFADIY

Currently trying to figure out if they will be compatible with my computer...

C

chris6878

Audioholic
you could get a roku soundbridge and install firefly media server on your PC.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Apple air port express?

You could also try any of the Logitech Squeeze Box Appliances.

sgtpepper9

sgtpepper9

Audioholic
I ended up setting up network sharing for my music folders and then installing foobar on the PC connected to my home theater. Works perfect, better than boxee as far I'm concerned bc I don't have to mess around with it's UI just to play music. Nothing wrong with their UI but it takes a lot longer than just loading up foobar and pressing play.

N

Nestor

Senior Audioholic
How did you make the connection from tower to AV receiver? Did you use a 3.5mm to RCA cable? How is the sound quality?
Much of my collection was ripped to flac. I use a Squeezebox V2 connected via digital coax output directly into my AVR. Since I have ethernet close by, I don't bother with wireless.

The Logitech Squeezebox Touch will do everything you want, including wi-fi, plus it has analog, digital coax, and optical outputs.

The squeezebox converts to PCM for direct digital input to the ADC of my receiver.

caper26

caper26

Full Audioholic
problem is it is so expensive...more than my laptop costs...Is there an effective way to access FLAC files on the desktop via wireless laptop and send to AVR?

N

Nestor

Senior Audioholic
problem is it is so expensive...more than my laptop costs...Is there an effective way to access FLAC files on the desktop via wireless laptop and send to AVR?
It is effective. :confused:

You also didn't mention the extra laptop in your first post.

caper26

caper26

Full Audioholic
I have read that using 3.5mm jack to RCA via laptap is not great because of the laptops internal components being crammed together, and that it is better to use optical out (which i don't have) and let the receiver do the DAC. Thoughts?

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
I ended up setting up network sharing for my music folders and then installing foobar on the PC connected to my home theater. Works perfect, better than boxee as far I'm concerned bc I don't have to mess around with it's UI just to play music. Nothing wrong with their UI but it takes a lot longer than just loading up foobar and pressing play.
Depending on what you have and are willing to tolerate for a control device will dictate how intuitive the front end of your media player is. I use Boxee on my HTPC because I don't need a mouse and keyboard (control it with my Android phone) at all and I can and navigate it from across the room very easily. Foobar is awesome but you need to be relatively close to navigate your library (actually thanks for mentioning this because I just checked and there are a few killer control apps for Foobar).

Here is the app link....

IDK if you have an Android phone but this would be nice!

N

Nestor

Senior Audioholic
I have read that using 3.5mm jack to RCA via laptap is not great because of the laptops internal components being crammed together, and that it is better to use optical out (which i don't have) and let the receiver do the DAC. Thoughts?
Short answer. Yes, optical out is preferred.

Given the many competing features in demand from consumers, a discerning audiophile-level quality headphone output, probably isn't a top or near-top priority for most laptop manufacturers.

Fewer "lossy" conversions of the audio signal, digital or otherwise, is generally considered better.

Best thing to consider is what sounds right for YOU. If you haven't heard what your laptop sounds like on your receiver, I suggest purchasing an inexpensive 3.5 mm to rca cable and try it.

caper26

caper26

Full Audioholic
going to be powering a pair of Energy RC-70's with a Yamaha RX-V863. I will pick up one of these 3.5mm/RCA when I order all the banana plugs, etc, and test out how it sounds. Thanks for the input. So the only other "standalone" option is the squeezebox? I dont have iPhone or android or any of that.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis