Strange problem with my Denon 4520

S

Steelheart1948

Enthusiast
When I first put it on, after 15 minutes or so, the source changes automatically. It always goes to the CD source. After I change it back manually, it doesn't happen again. Anyone have any ideas why this happening and what I can do about it? Thanks.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
When I first put it on, after 15 minutes or so, the source changes automatically. It always goes to the CD source. After I change it back manually, it doesn't happen again. Anyone have any ideas why this happening and what I can do about it? Thanks.
Unfortunately you most likley have trouble in the flip/flop switching circuit. It won't be discrete transistors anymore, but an IC controlling all of that input switching.

Most likely that part of the IC has become unstable. It has a heat range where this is occurring. When cold it is OK, and when it heats up a bit more it is stable. Unfortunately over time this circuit will tend to default to CD all the time.

You might be lucky in that it is a software problem, so try a default back to factory default and do the set up again.

Unfortunately this is not an uncommon fault with these types of circuits, which I have encountered before.

If it needs service in this day and age the boards are rarely serviceable, and so the board with that circuit will need to be replaced if a reset does not do the trick.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That has never happened to me. If that happens after you do a hard reset, then your AVR is probably defective.

Just out of curiosity, did you buy your Denon brand new or refurbished?

S

Steelheart1948

Enthusiast
Unfortunately you most likley have trouble in the flip/flop switching circuit. It won't be discrete transistors anymore, but an IC controlling all of that input switching.

Most likely that part of the IC has become unstable. It has a heat range where this is occurring. When cold it is OK, and when it heats up a bit more it is stable. Unfortunately over time this circuit will tend to default to CD all the time.

You might be lucky in that it is a software problem, so try a default back to factory default and do the set up again.

Unfortunately this is not an uncommon fault with these types of circuits, which I have encountered before.

If it needs service in this day and age the boards are rarely serviceable, and so the board with that circuit will need to be replaced if a reset does not do the trick.
Thank you TLS Guy. I will try a reset.

S

Steelheart1948

Enthusiast
That has never happened to me. If that happens after you do a hard reset, then your AVR is probably defective.

Just out of curiosity, did you buy your Denon brand new or refurbished?
I bought it new from J&R. Going to try a hard reset.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Can you exchange it for another one if it is within so many days?

S

Steelheart1948

Enthusiast
Can you exchange it for another one if it is within so many days?
No - I have had it for a few months now. When I get home from work today I will do a hard reset.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Don't forget to do a backup of your settings before the reset or you will have to do all of your configurations again. Just go to the network interface and you do it from there.

S

Steelheart1948

Enthusiast
I got lucky! I did a hard reset and the problem is not happening anymore. Thank you all for your feedback.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Well Done. Software seems to have a mind of its own these days, and seems to be able to create limitless problems!

S

Steelheart1948

Enthusiast
I have been involved in this insane hobby since the mid 1970s, and yet I am basically a technical dummy. I post very infrequently, but appreciate the knowledge and advice from people here. Thank you.

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
I have not had that problem with mine- yet! But ' sometimes after a power dip from the house power from TXU, I experience the following.
Mine will be in Zone 2, 3 or 4 after the voltage sag. I power the respective zones off . Then I power on the Main zone and It works fine.
I use a triplite protection strip. It is a greater than $200 dollar power strip!

C

copmagnet82

Junior Audioholic

Is that an issue with all receivers built these days, since they all use circuit boards, or is that an issue with Denon products?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis