Strange Pioneer VSX D511 volume problem...

K

kmcandre

Audiophyte
Hey all, new here....

Just took my old receiver out of storage to get my surround set up at my new apartment, and the receiver is doing some strange things.

When I turn the volume up with the knob it is very quiet, there is sound coming from the speakers but not near the amount of sound one would expect. When I get to -15 to -17 the volume gets a bit louder (but still no where near where it should be) and then as I approach -0 it gets quiet again.
I opened it up and checked the fuses and they are fine, but do not want to begin fiddling with it without any type of direction as to what to do.

I am currently not sure where the remote is (may have to go check storage again to see if I accidentally left it). Is there any way to restore the factory settings on the receiver without it, or am I dealing with a more complex problem.

ANY advice would be greatly appreciated!

Kyle

P

perpetualglass

Audioholic Intern
Mine has a similar problem. On mine, the knob is rendered useless, sometimes it works, sometimes in reverse. There are even instances where it will begin turning itself up very loudly, to the point of clipping, or turn itself down to a whisper. There is a gremlin in the knob for sure. Try pulling on the knob or torquing it while you turn it.

The remote is the only way that I can predictably control its volume.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis