Strange amplifier (I think) problem

X

Xytech

Audioholic Intern
Hi all,

I'm having some weird times with my Pioneer VSX-520K amplifier. Basically, my speakers will occasionally crackle. It is hard to explain - I will be listening to a piece, and suddenly the clarity won't be there - it will distort and not sound right - the best way to describe it is that it will suddenly sound like it was recorded in the 1930s. I generally fix it by pressing stop, play again, then going back to the bit and continuing, which seems to fix it.

It seems strangely inconsistent - I'll test it at a certain volume, it'll crackle/distort, then I'll come back to it again but this time with a louder volume and it will be fine. Likewise, it can sometimes stuff up at lower volumes.

So I am not 100% sure if it is the amp - It seems that it might be though, as my previous speakers encountered the same issue (although not as much). It also sometimes does the same thing with my headphones, when plugged into the headphone slot on the amp.

It is frustrating I can't describe it in a better way - but hopefully you get the idea/know what I mean!

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Edit: Even just testing it then on my headphones - if I adjust the volume upwards to quite high levels, it createsa similar sort of crackling to the type I get randomly. Does this sound like a lack of power problem or something like that?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I'm having some weird times with my Pioneer VSX-520K amplifier.
I generally fix it by pressing stop, play again, then going back to the bit and continuing, which seems to fix it.
Your amplifier has a stop button?

Does this problem occur on all sources, or just one?

X

Xytech

Audioholic Intern
Sorry, as in I'll stop the piece I am listening to with my computer, and then start it again.

The only source I use is an optical cable which goes into my asus xonar sound card. I'll try my integrated sound card today and see if that makes any difference.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Try a totally different source directly into the amplifier, say a CD player with a digital feed and even an analog feed to isolate the problem.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis