Stopped by RBH headquarters. WOW

R

rolyasm

Full Audioholic
Today on my search for the perfect speaker I stopped in and talked with Jon and I believe his name is Shane at the RBH headquarters in Utah. It was funny because Gene's name was on a sticky pad on the computer. Gene, you get around. Nice place. Got a glimpse of the new limited edition speakers. Look like the T1, but better and cooler. New mids, new tweaters, same type of look. Anyway, they had nothing but nice things to say about you Gene.
I took a listen to the T2 system, which is the T1 and the sub, 1010 I think.
http://www.rbhsound.com/t2.shtml
It is a monster. As tall as me and deep. We listened to Blue Man and some music. Being more of a HT junky myself, I loved the way the system with Blue Man Group surrounded me in thousands of detailed sounds. Lots of bass and fun. It was crazy cool. Listened to Reqiuem by Ritter or someone similar, and it was great. Deep, deep tones overlaid by rich highes, and very detailed. The Jazz CD was equally appealling and I found myself wondering why I don't do more stereo listening. Oh ya, I don't have these speakers. Highly recommend them to anyone who has the cash for them. I would like to have these in my HT just to look at. They are so impressive. I think I have a complex now.

Next I listened to the step down, the 661 SE,which utilizes the same drivers and design, just fewer of them. I hate to say it, but I could tell a difference. Now if I had heard these speakers first, I would be even more impressed with them, and what little disappointment I have stems from the fact that they just got spanked by G-Daddy T2. The 661's were great. I am considering them on my short list of speakers. Sound was impressive, but not quite as fulfilling. I didn't want to eat the sound like as before when I thought I could scoop it out of the room and take a bite. Sounds were a little more blended, not as discrete, but still very, very nice.

So in the end, I said my goodbyes and bought some grill cloth for my sub project. The RBH guys are a stand-up crowd. Thanks for the audition.
Roly

Last edited:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Got a glimps of the new limited edition speakers. Look like the T1, but better and cooler. New mids, new tweaters, same type of look. Anyway, they had nothing but nice things to say about you Gene.
Well now you let the cat out of the bag. I am in the process of reviewing these and all I can say is "WOW"!

Thanks for the feedback.

A

AD_LIB

Enthusiast
I just picked up a set of 661 SEs to replace an old set of B&W matrix 805s...These things sound fantastic talk about bang for the buck. They definatly sound better than my old 805s and thats saying alot since i have been VERY satisfied with them for about 10+ years now. Build quality is top notch, the imaging is great, bass response is awesome for a speaker of this size. I can't thank you enough for turning me on to these guys.

R

rolyasm

Full Audioholic
Sorry about the cat. I will be very curious to see how you compare the new speakers to the old T1. Are you going to be able to do a side by side, or is it more of a listen and rate thing?
Roly

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Sorry about the cat. I will be very curious to see how you compare the new speakers to the old T1. Are you going to be able to do a side by side, or is it more of a listen and rate thing?
It is impractical for me to A/B them directly, especially since my reference theater is on the second floor. Lugging this T2pSE system upstairs was quite a chore, especially since the cabinet is all one piece now.

I am intimately familiar with the original T-2P system since it served as my reference speaker for over 2 years. I can tell you the SE version has a more focused sound and much improved output in the bass region. That's about all I can tell you for now though ;)

R

rolyasm

Full Audioholic
Today I took the wife to RBH. This time I took some of our audition DVD's that we always listen to when trying to compare. The speakers are basically the T1, but in-wall. A little different design as far as arrangement of drivers, but the same amount of drivers. Fired up Jurassic Park III. Scene: Dual of the Dinosaurs. This is one of our favorites. It has great bass and a lot of detail with leaves rustling and bones cracking. My wife had wide eyes and a smile on her face. She looked at me and mouthed "This is awesome." Next we went to the Matrix. Hotel Lobby Scene: good vocals at the beginning, then lots of detail with bullets flying, walls spraying and casings dropping. Very nice. My favorite scene is when the helicopter drops down and Neo opens up with that gatling gun. You have some vocals, some good bass, and then sound of the bullets spraying across the floor in the water. Again, no complaints. Hit all the marks I was looking for. Next was LOTR, Scene: Helms Deep: The orcs are just approaching. I could hear the rain, the orc's breathing, the armour clanking, arrows flying and hitting their marks. It was really good. Top of the line HT speakers. Not too bright, but very detailed. Next we went back into the stereo room. Listened to a few things. Our favorite was the Blue Man Group. Don't know the song. It gets progressively more detailed adding more and more instruments, then this killer bass kicks in. It was loud, but not overwhelming. My wife told me she was worried it would be too loud when the bass kicked in, but she handled the whole song without pain, fatigue or anything bad to say. These are here favorite speakers that we have heard. Possibly mine too. I will have to revisit some of the others, but I think anyone would be happy with these T1 speakers, especially me.
Roly

J

Jim E.

Enthusiast
gene said:
It is impractical for me to A/B them directly, especially since my reference theater is on the second floor. Lugging this T2pSE system upstairs was quite a chore, especially since the cabinet is all one piece now.

I am intimately familiar with the original T-2P system since it served as my reference speaker for over 2 years. I can tell you the SE version has a more focused sound and much improved output in the bass region. That's about all I can tell you for now though ;)
I thought there were two cats in this bag. :rolleyes:

Aren't you drooling to get your hands on their Anniversary Edition or have they narrowed it down to one offering?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Aren't you drooling to get your hands on their Anniversary Edition or have they narrowed it down to one offering?
This is the system I am currently evaluating and drooling over :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis