Steven Wilson's third solo album already coming!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi

Steven's second solo album Grace for Drowning just dropped a few months ago and he has already announced the follow up album: The Raven That Refused To Sing (And Other Stories). It is up for preorder at Burning Shed for Feb release. The odd thing is, I don't see a CD only release. There's a 2CD + DVD, BD, vinyl, and a Deluxe Edition that has the CDs, BD and DVD. I want the deluxe set, but the price seems pretty high.

https://www.burningshed.com/store/stevenwilson/

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I love Steve Wilson but is he ever going to do anything not in a Minor Key or Diminished chords?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Sure he does: Bass Communion. But I am not a big fan of that stuff from him because it is so ambient that it just sounds like noise :)

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Sure he does: Bass Communion. But I am not a big fan of that stuff from him because it is so ambient that it just sounds like noise :)
Yea I kinda wish he would diversify more in his music. The really great prog rock bands (ie.Genesis, Yes, King Crimson, etc) don't just stick with one sound or chord structure all the time.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I don't see any samples or a site up for this one yet, like was done for Grace for Drowning, but I'll expect this one to sound much in the same vein as Grace did. Luminol was an unreleased track that was on the live release Get All You Deserve.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I think mine was delayed somewhere - it shipped last week.

johndoe

johndoe

Audioholic
I got mine in the mail this Tuesday- it's Friday now. I haven't had time to sit down at home and listen to the surround version, only the stereo CD in my car, but sometimes traffic is a good thing, I went through the whole thing and a little more during my morning commute. It's quite a treat! If you like his previous work, you will love this. It's somewhat like Grace for Drowning, but jazzier, and better thought out, at times it sounds to me quite cinematic (I thought the same about Storm Corrosion). This has been said by a lot of fans and is quite the cliche, but he does keep getting better. Right now, after only a week of listening, I'd give it a 9/10. Time will tell.
I wish Wilson got to write music for a movie, a Christopher Nolan or Darren Aronofsky movie.

Does anybody know if Porcupine Tree is officially defunct?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I doubt anything is defunct with this guy. He has so many projects...lost count of the bands he is part of.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
FINALLY got this one today. I'm glad I ordered the BD because the dtsHD MA tracks are pretty staggeringly well mastered. Luminol is the bridge, as it obviously was done in conjunction with Grace / Get All You Deserve, but after that it takes a different direction IMHO. The new tracks are heavily layered but with a slightly different flavor than Grace had; clearly related, but from a different mindset. I'm on my second full listen right now. So far, favorite track has to be The Watchmaker.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis