N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
In general, can this be achieved just by connecting the two positive channels to one cable and the same for the two negative channels (like a Y-adapter) or will doing this harm the receiver?

Nick

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
nm2285 said:
In general, can this be achieved just by connecting the two positive channels to one cable and the same for the two negative channels (like a Y-adapter) or will doing this harm the receiver?

Nick
Why are you trying to do this? And depending on the amp you can bridge the 2 channels and get more power by running the positive from one output and using the negative from the other output

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I think most receivers cannot be bridged. Amps are a different story, though they still have to be designed that way. Bridging is not the same thing as making a stereo signal into a mono one, as a bridged amp will only use a single input.

I'm not sure what will happen if you hook both channels of a stereo receiver together, but I wouldn't want to find out the hard way that it doesn't work.

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
thats why I was trying to find out why he was trying to do this

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
It may or may not hurt the receiver, but...

...I can say that if this is done between the preamp out and the main in (say for a mono subwoofer), you'll wind up with a mono signal across the board.

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
The reason I want to do this is I'm hooking up a second receiver to power only 1 outdoor speaker. Unfortunately, I have to use a second receiver because the first system is Bose and we all know thats not flexible at all. I'm going to split the signal from the Bose unit and send part to the receiver. From the receiver, I only want to power 1 speaker.

I guess i could use Y adapters to make the signal going into the receiver mono.

thanks for the responses thus far

Votrax

Votrax

Audioholic
nm2285 said:
The reason I want to do this is I'm hooking up a second receiver to power only 1 outdoor speaker. Unfortunately, I have to use a second receiver because the first system is Bose and we all know thats not flexible at all. I'm going to split the signal from the Bose unit and send part to the receiver. From the receiver, I only want to power 1 speaker.

I guess i could use Y adapters to make the signal going into the receiver mono.

thanks for the responses thus far
Never combine pre-amp outputs with a y-adapter or you'll fry your ouput pre-amps. You can always split one output signal into two, but you can't combine two into one. You'll just have to use either the left or right channel to power your speaker.

R

RhapsodyInBlack

Junior Audioholic
what is the secondary receiver ? any optical or digital outputs on it ? if so,maybe you can run your auxillary audio sources into the secondary receiver, go digital or optical out into the bose and still have your audio outputs (speaker level ) left over to combine ( left and right )....There are some combiners available in the live sound market,but im unsure about home theater applications as i am fairly new to the whole home theater game.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Outdoor Speakers

Get two outdoor speakers! Your patio has a lot more open space than a small enclosed room and you will need both speakers and higher volumes to disperse the sound in this open area. Also, stereo will sound a lot better.
Concerning the need for an additional receiver, here is an option I am considering for my patio:
http://www.amphony.com/products/trans.htm
A wireless transmitter connects to the line out or record out on your receiver. This sends a signal to the receiver / amplifier on your patio. The only connections you need on the patio are 110 VAC power and speaker wires from the AMP to the two speakers. You also get a volume control built into the amplifier.

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
No, unfortunately, not only is it Bose, but it's older Bose so analog is the only connection available. I'm just recommending a simple analog, stereo receiver to them. I'll have to tell them to just hook up another speaker (they have one, but wanted to save the trouble if possible).

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis