Stereo setup recomendations

J

Josh784

Junior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I'm very new to this hifi scene. &nbsp;I've never owned hifi speakers before, but I'm looking to start now. &nbsp;I want to build a stereo system for my room, and have about an $800 ceiling.

I've pretty much decided to go with Axiom speakers, either the m2ti or m3ti. &nbsp;I've heard the m2ti's would be better if one is planning on using a sub, and the m3ti's if one was not. &nbsp;I'd like to be able to use a sub, if that would be possible with my budget. &nbsp;I have no idea where to go on subs, obviously I don't want to spend too much, but something that would fit the speakers well is what I'm looking for.

I've heard people speak of both receivers and amps. &nbsp;Would I be better off to go with a receiver with an integrated amp, or just an standalone amp? &nbsp;I understand you can only have one. &nbsp;Question I have here: would a sub have a built in amp, or would that also be powered by the receiver/amp, and if so would it receive the same wattage as each speaker, or would it be allotted more? &nbsp;As for my use, for a while I will just be playing CD's, but I also may want to hook the system up to my TV from time to time, and may eventually buy a dedicated TV for it. &nbsp;

This brings me to the second object I'll need: a CD player. &nbsp;Obviously I'd like to be able to play DVD's as well, and MP3s wouldn't hurt either. &nbsp;Does the player really matter that much: do I need to spend $300 on it as I have been recommended, or could I be fine with something around the $100 mark. &nbsp;I've looked around on ebay and there seem to be some decent players on there for about that, such as the YAMAHA DV-S5650 for $140, but like I said I'm very new to this so I wouldn't probably know a good player if I saw one.

I've figured about $50 for cable, and I plan on making my own mounts, as I am a proficient handyman.

I really just need as many recommendations and as much advice as you can throw at me here. &nbsp;I plan on continuing to read up on the subject, but as in previous endeavors I've found the process goes much faster if you ask questions

Thanks,
Josh</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>I have the Yamaha DVD-S510 and the SACD compatible DVD-S2300 and can tell you that the Yamaha players have excellent video section with true to life colors and the richest blacks but the audio section is mediocore especialy compared to Yamaha's CD players but then that is typical with most DVD players on the market.</font>

scottay0

Audiophyte
I have just purchased the dvd player you are asking about. I purchased it used without owners manual. What a mistake that was. I need the factory reset code or buttons to press to change video to my preference. Can anyone help? please the manual has been deleted from the yamaha archive.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
New system

Josh,
Here are some ideas for your new system. Do you want a 2.1 system or due you plan to upgrade to surround sound?

Speakers: Onix X-LS $229, or Axiom $300
Sub: Onix X-sub $200.
DVD/CD: Oppo Digital DV-970HD $150.
HT Receiver: $200.

In your price range I would recommend a receiver. You can't find many integrated amps for $200 and most wont have bass management, a tunner, remote, etc.

I have the Oppo DVD player and higher end Onix speakers and recommend them.

J

Josh784

Junior Audioholic
Scottay, I had a Yamaha receiver and Pioneer DVD player, but not a Yamaha DVD player. The receiver was Yamaha HTR-5550, and the DVD player Pioneer DV-563A. If either of these are what you're looking for, I still have the manuals.

jcPanny - thanks for the suggestions but my original post was 4 years ago :) I did go with Axiom speakers and a Yamaha receiver, however that stereo was stolen about a week ago and I am now in the market for something new.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis