Stereo Receiver mysteriously turning off!

L

lrgray

Audiophyte
When I am watching a DVD movie at a certain scene my stereo receiver turns itself off. I can turn it on, replay the section that was on at the time the stereo turned itself off, and it will turn itself off again. If I continue the movie from the next chapter, it will stay on to the end of the movie.

Some points of interest:
1. This has occured with both store purchased and copied DVDs.
2. This has occurred with 2 DVD players.

Equipment:
DVD Player: Phillips (DVP632)
Stereo Receiver: Kenwood (DR306)
TV: Toshiba
VCR: Panasonic

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
The only thought I can possibly offer is that perhaps it is sonically a very demanding scene and your receiver's amps are being overtaxed and it goes into protective overload. One way to confirm this is to play it at a much lower level and see what happens.

Others might have other ideas.

Shinerman

Shinerman

Senior Audioholic
I'm with Markw on this one. It sounds like protection mode form a taxing scene. The fact that it's only during a specific scene would indicate that the load is too great for the receiver to handle.

Let us know about the scene in question. Also, what kind of speakers are you driving and how many total speakers do you have hooked up to the receiver. I wonder if a phase problem might be to blame? You might make sure you have your speakers in phase (positive to positive and nagative to nagative) for ALL connections to receiver and speakers. If you get them crossed, it could cause problems. Just a thought.

Also, you might try renting the same DVD and see if you still have the same problem. Not sure how, but maybe it's the DVD? I doubt it though.

Shinerman.

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
Da' Amp is on Fire!

It sounds like the thermal protection...I'v had that happen before, not with a DVD but just playing music....after a while the amp's thermal protection kicked in an shut it down....you might want to try some home brewed cooling...eg. use a fan to move air around the amp and see if it happens again, if it doesn't shut off than get some small computer fans and use those, if it still shuts off...um...buy a new amp :)

U

Unregistered

IR signal

I suspect that there is something in that scene that the IR receiver is "seeing" telling it to turn your receiver. Try running it with the TV turned off and see if it does it again.

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
Please check your speakers one by one, most likely it is a busted tweeter in your center channel, happened to me till I found out that it wasnt my RX-Z1 but my busted tweeter on my center channel.

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
Could be

Good Idea Yamahaluver...I never thought of a speaker wire being loose and shorting out. But as far as the IR signal comming from the TV...it aint going to happen....the TV is not going to send infrared, let alone command codes.

D

Dr. Anthony

Audioholic Intern
Thermal overload

I agree with the others on this. Thermal overload is probably the key. Make sure there is good air flow around the amp at least 2-3 inches all sided and not placed in a closed cabinet.

L

lrgray

Audiophyte
Died!

The theory with a thermal problem sounds fairly plausible. A few weeks back it finally died for good! I had the unit in an audio cabinet with very little ventilation and a shelf very close to the top of the unit preventing any heat escape. I have purchased a KLH R5100 and it know sits on the shelf keeping the vents open

Thanks for all your help!

Lee

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
Sorry

lrgray said:
The theory with a thermal problem sounds fairly plausible. A few weeks back it finally died for good! I had the unit in an audio cabinet with very little ventilation and a shelf very close to the top of the unit preventing any heat escape. I have purchased a KLH R5100 and it know sits on the shelf keeping the vents open

Thanks for all your help!

Lee
Sorry to hear about your loss :( Remember keep things cool :cool:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis