stereo integrity 18" sub amp ?

C

chucksrt

Audioholic
I am getting ready to start building the full marty enclosures for my si 18 subs. I was looking at the inuke 6000 or 6000dsp or the dayton audio spa 1000 plate amps. I know i can run a pair of these subs off of the inuke 6000 but would this plate amp be better suited because each sub would have it's own amp? Or are there any alternatives that might suite these subs better "trying to keep some sort of budget though"

U

utubecomment21

Audioholic Intern
I don't really trust either brand. I've had negative experience of both, in both PA and home audio. Looking on parts express i noticed that some Dayton amps really did have a bad press (PE reviews), but now they have brimming reviews, so whether the products have been upgraded or PE have simply wiped the negative comments away i'm not sure. But at the time it was enough to make me look elsewhere.

I'm sorry i had a good suggest, but now i'm racking my brain trying to remember. when i go i send you a link.

Again with Behringer, 'once (or twice) bitten twice shy'. I wont be buying anything behringer again!

S

Spur Darren

Audiophyte
I had a Dayton SA1000 standalone unit when I had 2 CHT VS18.1's and it wasn't a bad amp. I did get a hum when I used that amp that I didn't get with other amps. It also had protection circuitry that would kick in during a couple of intense scenes. I never that happen with other amps. I have dual passive Captivator 2400"s now and I power them with Chane's MQ600 amps. I think they are called 3600's now. They have a a lot of power and are fairly quiet.

picture_shooter

picture_shooter

Full Audioholic
I have an SI 18. I am using an iNuke DSP1000 and I did the fan mod (to make it quieter when its powered on) . It is in Bridged mode and absolutely have no issues pushing my wonderful SI18 subwoofer in a ported cabinet.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
If you can afford go with crown drivecore series (1500 or higher)
Unbalanced inputs, near silent, great reliability and at least in my opinion better sound. For dsp tasks a minidsp would be ideal

B

Basshead81

Audioholic
I have an SI 18. I am using an iNuke DSP1000 and I did the fan mod (to make it quieter when its powered on) . It is in Bridged mode and absolutely have no issues pushing my wonderful SI18 subwoofer in a ported cabinet.
I have a hard time believing a Inuke 1000 can come anywhere close to driving a SI18 to it's potential. It takes a 3000 to properly drive a SI18 from what I have seen. I also tried powering a pair of Martin Logan SL3 speakers with a Inuke 1000 and it struggled. A Crown XLS202 did a much better job. I am only mentioning this to let you know that there is plenty left in your sub with more amp. However if you are happy then that is all that matters.

corradizo

corradizo

Audiophyte
How many sub's? If 2 then get the D4 and go 2ohm to each side of an inuke 3000dsp. That's 1100w per driver RMS. If going with 4 sub's then get the D2 and go 4 ohm per channel on the 6000dsp for the same 1100w RMS for each sub.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I have a hard time believing a Inuke 1000 can come anywhere close to driving a SI18 to it's potential. It takes a 3000 to properly drive a SI18 from what I have seen. I also tried powering a pair of Martin Logan SL3 speakers with a Inuke 1000 and it struggled. A Crown XLS202 did a much better job. I am only mentioning this to let you know that there is plenty left in your sub with more amp. However if you are happy then that is all that matters.
the key word you've missed is "ported" - you're referring to much less efficient sealed mode.
While SI18 can take much more then Recommend 600W, in ported box - I say why? Inuke 1000 (unrelated to it's quality/reliabilty) delivers more than enough for power si18 in ported box
I doubt picture shooter even uses 50% of power most of the time

mikectm2

mikectm2

Audiophyte
chucksrt..... where did you get the plans for this 'full Marty ' build ?

can't find anyting..

C

chucksrt

Audioholic
I will try to find where i came across it. I think it was on the AVS Forum. I know that if you google full marty subwoofer or enclosure then go to the images tab and a bjnch of pics pop up wigh links to the threads that they are attached to. I will check my computer to see which one i found it in.

Eng-399

Eng-399

Audioholic Intern
Yep go on avs forum there's a ton of builds and you can buy flat packs from Squiers and diysg for the HT-18.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis