Status Acoustics Decimo vs Mediette X3 LCR

B

beakergeek

Audioholic Intern
I have been a very satisfied RBH 61 SE/R, 661 SE/R, 44-SE owner for my 5.1 home theater setup. I was curious if the highly regarded Status Acoustics Decimo speakers would sound even better. To my surprise, the Decimos seem to sound even better for 2 ch music listening than the 61 SE/R. This is most apparent to me at the higher frequencies for which the Decimos really do sound cleaner and less harsh than the 61 SE/R which are far from "harsh" by the way. So my question is about the center channel. I have an opportunity to buy a single Status Acoustics Mediette (an MTM version of the Decimos) as a new center channel to replace the 661 SE/R. I also have the option to upgrade to X3 Mediette for a LCR setup. In this case I would use the Decimos as rear channel (almost seems sacrilegious to relegate them to this duty). Question is: Is it worth it to go with X3 Mediette for the front three channels, or should I save the money and use Decimos as L/R and Mediette as center? My room is 2128 cubic feet, but its always possible I may have a larger room someday. My theater is roughly 21' x 15' x 7'. Thanks!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have been a very satisfied RBH 61 SE/R, 661 SE/R, 44-SE owner for my 5.1 home theater setup. I was curious if the highly regarded Status Acoustics Decimo speakers would sound even better. To my surprise, the Decimos seem to sound even better for 2 ch music listening than the 61 SE/R. This is most apparent to me at the higher frequencies for which the Decimos really do sound cleaner and less harsh than the 61 SE/R which are far from "harsh" by the way. So my question is about the center channel. I have an opportunity to buy a single Status Acoustics Mediette (an MTM version of the Decimos) as a new center channel to replace the 661 SE/R. I also have the option to upgrade to X3 Mediette for a LCR setup. In this case I would use the Decimos as rear channel (almost seems sacrilegious to relegate them to this duty). Question is: Is it worth it to go with X3 Mediette for the front three channels, or should I save the money and use Decimos as L/R and Mediette as center? My room is 2128 cubic feet, but its always possible I may have a larger room someday. My theater is roughly 21' x 15' x 7'. Thanks!
Both those speakers seem to measure very well, but the Decimo speakers have a slight bass lift before cut off, and that might make them appear warmer. They both have similar tweeters and very smooth HF response. Not knowing either speakers I can't advise you. I suspect that what you are actually hearing is a subtle difference in the LF response and not the HF response.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Having owned and compared both pairs of these speakers for many years, I can speak from intimate experience. The Decimos came first. I gave RBH the idea of putting Status drivers in Signature cabinets as a way to get the cost down so that I could afford to buy the 1266-SE/R which was half the cost as the Status Acoustics equivalent with the same drivers and crossovers. The thing that makes the Status Acoustics Decimos superior to the 61 SE/R is the cabinet. The Status cabinet is far more inert and the smooth baffle makes a difference in how the tweeter radiates. I found the bass in the Decimos to be snappier and than the 61 SE/R as well. The treble difference is only apparent when directly compared and it's pretty noticeable. I owned the Decimos for 20+ years until I moved and sold them. They are still one of my favorite speakers of all time and I miss them. Hope this helps.

B

beakergeek

Audioholic Intern
Thanks Gene, that helps! I’ve learned a lot about this hobby from the website and saw some videos and articles about center speakers. I’m definitely getting the Mediette for my new center. Given my medium sized room, is it worth it to get the larger Mediette MTM speaker for all 3 front speakers? Thanks!

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Thanks Gene, that helps! I’ve learned a lot about this hobby from the website and saw some videos and articles about center speakers. I’m definitely getting the Mediette for my new center. Given my medium sized room, is it worth it to get the larger Mediette MTM speaker for all 3 front speakers? Thanks!
Absolutely if you can still buy Mediette cabinets. The Decimos are best in small rooms especially when used without a sub. The Mediette's have output and dynamic advantages and the MTM arrangement helps to limit vertical dispersion.

B

beakergeek

Audioholic Intern
IMG_0128.jpeg

I guess I REALLY love this company! For 2 ch listening, I noticed the dynamic range of 2 Mediettes is indeed greater than Decimos. I also hear them “disappearing” more into the room- maybe I’m hearing the bigger soundstage. Either way it’s a noticeable step up! Bass response is also better, and I haven’t even optimized my room yet acoustically. Thanks for the advice Gene!!!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis