State of the Popular Music World

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I had a whole big rant written, but deleted it. I think all I need to say is that Harlem Shake is the number one song on iTunes. I think that's a more powerful statement about the the quality of music these days than anything I could say.

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
Congratulation, you are now officially old! (Those people with there music.........back in my day)

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
My twenty-something children prefer classic rock to popular music. This has to be the first generation since dinosaurs walked the earth that prefers their parents' music.

G

Grador

Fuzz, couldn't resist but I do rather agree with you.

My twenty-something children prefer classic rock to popular music. This has to be the first generation since dinosaurs walked the earth that prefers their parents' music.
I'm a 20 something and I listen to more classic rock that popular music, unfortunately though my parents have moved on to current top 40 type stuff. So I'm listening to their music, they're listening to new, and neither of us are happy with eachother.

L

Lordhumungus

Audioholic
I'm not really sure that it means what you think it means. I've not heard anyone extolling the virtues of the song as a masterful musical work. If anything, I think it's more a commentary on how socially connected this generation is. They all associate the song with generally being silly and trying to have a good time. Everyone knows it, everyone thinks it's ridiculous, and everyone participates regardless.

All that said, I think the song sucks and I don't find it entertaining in any way.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
I prefer music from the generations before me, but the music's NAME should imply that its what a majority prefers...???? POPULAR music. You don't have to like it, but to discount it's quality or relevance is a waste of time AND inaccurate. People don't sit around and decide whats popular... It just is... The state of Popular music will always be... well.. Popular...

Just say you don't like it... Don't point a finger at the masses and judge their preferences. Thats far from a noble endeavor IMO.

G

Grador

I prefer music from the generations before me, but the music's NAME should imply that its what a majority prefers...???? POPULAR music. You don't have to like it, but to discount it's quality or relevance is a waste of time AND inaccurate. People don't sit around and decide whats popular... It just is... The state of Popular music will always be... well.. Popular...

Just say you don't like it... Don't point a finger at the masses and judge their preferences. Thats far from a noble endeavor IMO.
Unfortunately that's not quite accurate. A lot of popular music is in fact engineered to be popular. To me this is a different and compounding reason as to why I'm not fond.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
How can it be "popular" if its not at least adopted by a large portion of culture? I'm guessing our perspectives differ in the approach to the subject and we'll never find the right common ground...

I'm not fond of it either.. I don't care for it.. at all.... I think thats ok to say, but to completely discredit the genre and question its "state" as the OP did seems a little futile to me.

G

Grador

How can it be "popular" if its not at least adopted by a large portion of culture? I'm guessing our perspectives differ in the approach to the subject and we'll never find the right common ground...

I'm not fond of it either.. I don't care for it.. at all.... I think thats ok to say, but to completely discredit the genre and question its "state" as the OP did seems a little futile to me.
I agree, and that's why I said I view that as a different issue that a lot of it is engineered. It is still popular regardless of inception.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
Fair enough.. I think I can buy that...

In before "Black Eyed Peas" are mentioned.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Congratulation, you are now officially old! (Those people with there music.........back in my day)
Haha, yea. I figured that way awhile ago :D

I'm not really sure that it means what you think it means. I've not heard anyone extolling the virtues of the song as a masterful musical work. If anything, I think it's more a commentary on how socially connected this generation is. They all associate the song with generally being silly and trying to have a good time. Everyone knows it, everyone thinks it's ridiculous, and everyone participates regardless.

All that said, I think the song sucks and I don't find it entertaining in any way.
Oh I know what it means. :p I never claimed anyone was, nor do I disagree with what you said about how socially connected the generation is. My point is that for a song to be placed where it is on iTunes says a lot about everything you just mentioned and more. As you pointed out, there is the inevitable social aspect to the equation which leads me to what's below.

So because it's popular and the masses love it we shouldn't question its relevance or quality? Because its "popular" we should just say "Hey, people will like what they like and that doesn't affect anything else." To have that attitude is somewhat ignorant. The state and quality of what people consider popular is hugely important in that it dictates so many different things concerning audio as we all know and love. To not ask questions, to not discuss, to ignore and qualify the "genre" as "it is what it is" and act like it doesn't affect you is asinine at best, and grossly irresponsible at worst as someone who claims to care about audio. The state of popular music and the clearly large group behind it is a major force in the audio industry.

Since I don't want to get this thread shut down, I'll merely say insert political example here about not questioning what's popular and calling discussion of the state of the union because it's futile.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
So because it's popular and the masses love it we shouldn't question its relevance or quality? Because its "popular" we should just say "Hey, people will like what they like and that doesn't affect anything else." To have that attitude is somewhat ignorant. The state and quality of what people consider popular is hugely important in that it dictates so many different things concerning audio as we all know and love. To not ask questions, to not discuss, to ignore and qualify the "genre" as "it is what it is" and act like it doesn't affect you is asinine at best, and grossly irresponsible at worst as someone who claims to care about audio. The state of popular music and the clearly large group behind it is a major force in the audio industry.

Since I don't want to get this thread shut down, I'll merely say insert political example here about not questioning what's popular and calling discussion of the state of the union because it's futile.
YES! now we have a conversation! :) Here's my "problem" with your original post... What makes any of us such an ELITIST to tell the masses what they should appreciate or enjoy?

"Hey, people will like what they like and that doesn't affect anything else."

YUP.. pretty much.. I don't want them jamming anything down my throat anymore than they want it jammed down theirs... (hush it boring threaders)

There's plenty of space for people who only listen to music on funny youtube videos and those of us that have made it a real enjoyment in our lives. No need to start throwing proverbial punches or picking a fight when there's nothing to win OR lose...

I'm just curious what the motive behind your first post was, Alex.. not that I like the music, but they're not ruining anything for us.. let them be. Its just music. Let them like what they like..

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
NO! not "NUFF SAID".. say something! Don't post a video and just assume that that's enough! Cmon- have a real opinion! Anybody can be hater... Tell me why. 1 billion + hits on youtube. Clearly a lot of people appreciate pop music beyond its musical qualities.. whats wrong with that? Other than you not liking it.. whats wrong with it? Let people enjoy something.. they aren't bothering you... Let them be.

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
Fuzz, what do you listen to?

I say that I don't like pop music, yet I know lyrics to some Adele and Lily Allen songs.
I have friends that say they don't like rap. Then they hear Tupac's California Love or Gangsta's Paradise and they get into it.

To me, it's the song, not the genre.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I'll say up front that I haven't heard, or even heard of "Harlem Shake". Is it that bad?

As to the present state of pop music, I try not to be judgemental about it. I haven't always been that way.

I have never liked RAP/Hip Hop and I used to call it garbage and music for people who have no musical talent. :p As I've gotten older, I've mellowed on that point. I still don't care for it, but who am I to say that it's garbage? During the whole pop music era, some hits have been "bad" in the critical sense. Is it worse today then in earlier generations? Hard to say. A lot of people panned the entire Rock n' Roll genre as garbage in the early days. I do know that there is some fantastic music being produced today. I say listen to what you like and ignore the rest.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I find Gangham Style catchy and hilarious. Seriously. :D

That's the beauty of variety - it increases the chances that we'll all find stuff that we like.

As for the engineering - there are two aspects that come to mind. First, my understanding is that there's a well-known formula for making a song catchy and enjoyable. I have no issue with that at all - if someone knows how to make a tasty cake, I'm not going to argue that they should make it differently. Second, the industry can manipulate the probability of music being heard in that they pay for playtime. So, one song might be just as enjoyable to the masses as another, but if only one of them is heard on the radio, it's easy to know which one is going to sell and hit the charts on iTunes. I'm less of a fan of that, but truth be told, I don't care because I'm not trying to sell music or know anyone that is. That, and the internet now offers a great opportunity for just about anyone to get their creative endeavors noticed.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
...Second, the industry can manipulate the probability of music being heard in that they pay for playtime. So, one song might be just as enjoyable to the masses as another, but if only one of them is heard on the radio, it's easy to know which one is going to sell and hit the charts on iTunes. I'm less of a fan of that, but truth be told, I don't care because I'm not trying to sell music or know anyone that is. That, and the internet now offers a great opportunity for just about anyone to get their creative endeavors noticed.
Once upon a time, they called that "payola". Apparently, the "industry" has been able to find all the loopholes in the laws designed to prevent the practice.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
As a Netizen I feel obligated to know what Beeber, Harlem shake and Gangdam style is, however doesn't mean I like any of these.
Youtube nowadays could do more than most successful and deep pocketed produced a decade ago. Case in point - PSY - as an artist completely and totally unknown in 2011, gets to be invited to sing on one of hottest events - 2012-2013 Times Sq New Year party.
It's a sign of times. You don't have to like it, but Imo you have to know about them to be "in the loop"
I'm in my mid 30s and I listen to mostly classic rock, blues,soul, funk and many of sub-genres of these.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis