Starting to build a Home Theater

skyline_123

skyline_123

Audioholic
I'm creating this thread mainly to document my very slow home theater build and to give my friends and family a link to visit and show them what I've been spending my money and time on. This build will consist of designs that are recommended by members of this website.
I started off with the hardest project you could ever conceive to convince your wife to accept in her beautiful living room, the Infinity Kappa Perfect 12 vq BUILD. She didn't complain much which was surprising and not only that but she helped me build it.

So, first thing's first, I needed something to build this thing with so I thought what a perfect excuse to buy a table saw.

The stage that all enclosures must start from:

I knew you wouldn't believe me so I had to post a picture of my wife, Erin, helping me build this thing:

Even had the dog help out a bit... he and the box had a starring contest, the box won, it always does.

Filled in all the holes with a little bondo. Nothing says "I love you honey" like a house that smells like a chemical spill and is fills the house with fine dust.

skyline_123

skyline_123

Audioholic
What a perfect excuse to buy a router.

I know these are for carpet but I figured I'd install them now so that by the time I have my dedicated room with carpet, I wouldn't have to work on this beast any more.

Wrapping my Christmas gift in a black ash vinyl. The next time I have to build another one, I will do things in the correct order. For instance, I should have painted the front baffle and the back of the cabinet first before I wrapped it. I also assumed the grill would rarely be taken off so there was no reason to seal the cut edges of the mdf before painting. Big mistake. It just doesn't look good.

What a wonderful Christmas this was, Santa was the man!

All buttoned up except for the grill. I haven't decided where to place the amp so it resides on the sub for now.

skyline_123

skyline_123

Audioholic
The original grill frame consisted of 1/4" quarter round with miter cuts.

This frame proved to be too flimsy so I beefed it up with trim with bracing in the corners.

Here was my other Christmas present from the wife. I originally ordered a Yamaha rx-v663 but look what they sent me: The 665.

I recently spoke with Tiger Direct and they gave me a return number and said they should be getting more 663's in in about a week and that I should keep the 665 in the meantime. So I have a few more days left with the 665. The speakers that I have now are what's left over from my grade school years, the Optimus STS-100's from Radio Shack. Not the best speaker by any means but much more tame than my gorilla caskets 15" Jensens.

Here's the final product. I will have to redo the grill sometime as I didn't like how it came out where the cloth stretches over the corners. The next one will be a similar frame but chamfered all the way around. It should allow the fabric to stretch over the corners of the frame more easily. This was my the first audio project like this other than a simple sealed enclosure for my old car. I definitely learned a lot. If I ever get a dedicated room that would fit two of these guys, I will do things a little differently. For starters, I'd set it up where I can take a flush bit router to as many edges as I can. Secondly, I'd paint the front and back of the speaker before putting the vinyl on. Thirdly, I wouldn't put carpet spikes on a gazillion pound box when it's going on wood floors. But, it was one of the funnest things I've done in a long time and it was very rewarding. I love the way this thing sounds and whenever I have some spare change, I might have to get a DCX2496.

Last edited:
skyline_123

skyline_123

Audioholic
Also, here are just a few pics of the speaker stands being built. Somewhere along the line I lost the pictures where I primed and painted them. I'll try and add those later.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for the pictures! Looks like it was a family affair. :)

I really like the progress photos and the final product. Looks great!

skyline_123

skyline_123

Audioholic
Wow, Adam, you're fast. Thanks a lot. I figure if I don't involve my family, they'll begin to resent whatever it is I'm spending so much time on. I think Erin likes the sound, she even got scared one time b/c it was so deep!:D

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
Very nice build, it looks like you are officially hooked on HT, I like your build pics as well, I have a pair of kappas and absolutely love them. I wish you the best with your HT and thanks for sharing , sawz..

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Adam can't figure out if he's more interested in your wife or your dogs. :eek: :D

I thought there was something up with those Optimus'. :confused:
However if they are working alright I'm sure that the boominess in that room went way down and switching over to that front ported sub pulled out of the corner like it is probably made it much easier to understand dialog.

I wasn't actually going to rep you because we're related but all that building with all those pictures ... I mean, how could I not?

I sure hope you get the DCX 2496 and figure it out. I would love one but would love one even more if you knew how to use it. How about the fan mod for the EP2400. Moderator mikec has a thread on it somewhere.

It all looks real good, Sean.

Oscar :)

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Great looking build, get us some high quality pictures of the sub and wife.

I really don't understand why you can't build my new box and have Alex deliver it to me.

skyline_123

skyline_123

Audioholic
Adam can't figure out if he's more interested in your wife or your dogs.
If he shows me his, I'll show him mine....pictures of dogs that is.:D

I thought there was something up with those Optimus'.
There is a tear in the mids. Same with the Jensens. Pick your poison.:(

More Dane pics please.
I will just as soon as I ressurect my hard drive. Shortly after posting those pictures of the build, my hard drive summersalted in a coffin of crap.

I really don't understand why you can't build my new box and have Alex deliver it to me.
I'll build it for you and personally deliver it too....for a price. Or better yet, I'll just trade you for your NHT's you have for sale.:D

Last edited:
ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Dang, looks like I sold them tonight but I would have taken you up on that.
I'll build it for you and personally deliver it too....for a price. Or better yet, I'll just trade you for your NHT's you have for sale.:D

son-yah-tive

son-yah-tive

Full Audioholic
Looking at these pictures, almost makes me want to get my hands full of SPLINTERS:eek:. When I saw the picture of your wife helping, and giving up her living room, reminds me of my wife. Don't EVER let that GOOD woman GO!! ;)

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
You are off to a good start Sky. Looks like you have the right tools (including a willing and helpfull spouse;)). Doing HTyourself makes for a fun and rewarding hobby plus, the results are shared with friends and family.

Thanks for the pics.:)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Adam can't figure out if he's more interested in your wife or your dogs. :eek: :D
I keep wanting to say "nice box," but I don't want it to be taken the wrong way.

After all, I don't care that much about subs...

:eek: :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis