Starting from scratch….New system help needed.

B

Bahtman

Junior Audioholic
I’m pre-wired in a large room for a 9.2 system.

Initially I was thinking about just buying a 9.1 AVR and be done with it, but I may or may never add rears or highs/wides but then again who knows?

So if I start with a good 5.1 AVR ($1500) range would it be possible to add additional channels using additional amps?

I understand that the AVR must have pre outs (how many?) but I’m not sure how they would interact, but I guess it’s not important at this stage of the game.

I just want to try and future proof a new purchase and have the options to add speakers if desired.

I don’t care about zone 2,3 or 4 options (unless needed) and certainly not airplay, Netflix spotify or such things as I can’t get them here anyway.

If I’m anywhere close with my novice logic what would be a good AVR to start with and have the options needed for future add-on speakers?

Thanks in advance

N

Nestor

Senior Audioholic
Amplification won't be the issue. Not too many 5.1 AVRs are geared towards 9.1 signal processing and that's where the hassle will lie. I think the factor for you will be HOW much later you plan to upgrade.
Signal processing features seem to change yearly, and if you hold off for a few years, you may just as well want to buy a new AVR to stay on top of the latest CODECs, room correction, etc.
If your plans to expand are in the near future, say in the next couple of years, then I think you'll be better off getting that 9.1 AVR and add speakers, otherwise, buy a 5.1 AVR and replace it with a 9.1 a few years later.

As for AVRs, the faves around here are Denon, Yamaha, and Marantz.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Just keep one thing in mind good 5.1 system will sound much better than mediocre 9.1. Aka if you should dedicate about 80% of your budget for speakers. In other news i would go with denon avr. X4000 in particular as good combination of features and value

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I actually wouldn't get an AVR without Atmos at this point. I think it will stay around with us.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Just keep one thing in mind good 5.1 system will sound much better than mediocre 9.1. Aka if you should dedicate about 80% of your budget for speakers.
Could not agree more!!!

Bahtman, you say $1500 for a receiver. Does that mean you're prepared to put ~$6000 into speakers? If not, you should slow down and rethink. You have options. Would you rather fully populate the 9.2 with poor speakers, then upgrade to good speakers, then later to very good speakers? Would you rather start w/ very good for Left/Center/Right, and add surrounds as your budget allows? You want to start w/ one or two subwoofers?

Perhaps more conducive to usable advice here would be to give us your starting budget. Then develop a strategy. Then pick the components.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis