Starlink and Home Network Setup (and Help Needed)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I've always been a fan of hardwired, and still am where reliability is paramount - like in a work scenario. Wi-Fi 6 has been a game changer for some folks who just can't install new LAN Cables. It sounds like the situation here should be a blend of the two, so not only is there coverage everywhere, that it's as rock solid as possible for critical workstations. I typically let wireless go for portable devices and hardwire the rest.

Of course there are exceptions to every rule. When my Misses wanted to get a TV in the bedroom after ages of saying no way, she of course wanted Netflix with no way to hard wire to it. Of course it runs flawlessly for her wirelessly; and now she pokes me about my LAN Cables everywhere.
You pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Getting strong WiFi throughout the house including garden/garage/driveway (will be garage Router/AP) and far side of the backyard where we have a storage shed which is also used for some work storage is key.
Hardwired points where needed for strongest connectivity beyond what a good Mesh will deliver.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I spent the money and upgraded to new Wi-Fi 6 APs and I'm glad I did, for the devices that support it.

I'm a moron and only wired one of the three upstairs bedrooms because reasons. So now I have two kids with multiple devices that connect to Wi-Fi. Luckily, I got mini PCs that have built in Wi-Fi 6 and so far they both feel like they're on a wired connection. Granted, there is an AP within 20 feet of both of them, but still.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I spent the money and upgraded to new Wi-Fi 6 APs and I'm glad I did, for the devices that support it.

I'm a moron and only wired one of the three upstairs bedrooms because reasons. So now I have two kids with multiple devices that connect to Wi-Fi. Luckily, I got mini PCs that have built in Wi-Fi 6 and so far they both feel like they're on a wired connection. Granted, there is an AP within 20 feet of both of them, but still.
Agreed... So far I am really happy with the performance of the Mesh devices themselves.

All of my gear is here, now, so I just need a free day to suit up and start spelunking the nether-regions of our crawlspace and get the Ethernet cable installed.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
This is a slow project, but I'm making progress.
The Crawlspace is really more of a "squirm-space." It's a good thing I've lost 60# and many inches off my waist!!! Along with the fact I've been exercising regularly, this is a serious core workout as I can't even bear-crawl down there, so its more like a walking plank on my toes and forearms. :rolleyes:

The other issue is that there are electric cables strung all around the bottom of the house. I truly envisioned that these would be hung and run with more intention.
Nope.

I should have the last of the Ethernet run today with the possible exception of getting the last cable run out and under the breezeway and into the garage.
I wired my first keystone jack the other day, too. :)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
All right.
I started with 500' of Shielded Solid Conductor Cat6A Ethernet Cable and have 134' left after running 6 drops.
1 to the Garage at 100'+
1 to the Foyer at ~80'
4 to my "office" (Private Space... AV Studio...) averaging ~45' each

The last run will be via Patch to the Main Router connected to the Starlink Controller/Ethernet Adapter in the Living Room.

I have a Patch Bay populated and a Gigaswitch ready...

All waiting delivery of my Patch Cables.

This will give me two hardwired Mesh Routers in the house and one in the Garage. Previously, we had Mesh connectivity from outr garden outside the Garage to a "little house" on the opposite side of the property. I will be moving the former master Router of the Mesh network out of my centrally located Office and putting that in the Garage which will most specifically service the EV Charger and Connectivity to my Car, as well as extending range out that direction beyond what the Foyer Mesh AP reaches.
Since my Office was centrally located, it overlapped the other APs pretty significantly. But the Wireless connectivity was still somewhat borked due to the overall length of the house.
So now, the new Master Router will be in the Living Room with a hard wire to the Foyer. My Office will be without a Router for the first time EVER but has Ethernet Drops to wire me directly in.
Wireless coverage should be no problem from the two in-house Router/APs, even in my room (though only my phone, really, will rely on the WiFi).

Patch Cables are slated to arrive now on Sunday. ???. :rolleyes:

I will likely strip a few Patches from my Office to test connectivity tomorrow.

*fingers crossed

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Ha ha ha!

It's been a nightmarish month-and-a-half since I last updated here.

I got everything ready and was prepared to flip the switch from Comcast to Starlink...

And my Dish died! :mad: I had checked on it a week or so previous to that point and everything was green. But when I went to switch the Starlink Router over to Bypass Mode so I could Ethernet to my Asus Mesh network, I got nothing but Red and a disconnect error.

Filed a service ticket through the Starlink App. And waited.
And waited... and waited some more.

They finally pulled their head out and got back to me almost 30days later! :eek:

They did apologize, refund me a month, and shipped out a new kit for me to reinstall. Everything went fine at that point, and today I finally had the time to finish the setup.
The switch has been flipped and my home network is up and fully functional with Starlink as the ISP.

I will install the third Mesh Router/AP in the garage later this week after a 25' Patch comes in from Amazon.

Glad this is finally at an end!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
And the last Mesh Router/AP is installed in the garage and successfully integrated into the system.
All my Ethernet Drops work and there doesn't seem to be any issue with connectivity anywhere in the house.
Starlink is still alive and well. I just did a speedtest and clocked 128Mbps. I'll take it. ;)

Cheers!

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Glad to see you've gotten success @ryanosaur .

I did a Zoom call during covid with a gent on Starlink (and 15 others) and he ran into latency issues, but the next year with the same gear it was rock solid. He said the system had improved, but still wasn't perfect. He was at Paul Lake near Kamloops, BC; and his only other option was internet from a cable company (Shaw) at 10 Mbps. He usually got over 10 times that with Starlink. So he's happy to live with a few glitches here in there, even if it costs about double Shaw.

We have a family vacation property (Cabin) there, and because we only use it seasonally, I've gone for Shaw Internet as I can put it on vacation mode for 6 months a year at $10/month. (We have Shaw Direct Satellite TV there as well.)

One of the neighbors (3 lots down) built a massive house (largest on the lake) and got Starlink last year. It was obvious they were rookies. I was visiting their next door neighbor (a long term friend of mine) and chatting on his sun deck. Unexpectedly the garage door next door opened up, and a lady comes out with a Starlink Dish and plops it down on the gravel driveway. Then she goes inside. Of course I'm intrigued, so I watch it for a while as it positions and syncs itself. My friend says she takes it in every night, and puts it out in the morning => sort of like a pet. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I went up earlier this year and noticed it was now permanently mounted on the house.

I just noticed this "special offer" from Starlink Canada with Hardware for only $199 (versus $759!) and subscription $140 a month. (All Canadian $) If I was remote, I'd jump on this in a heart beat.

I hope you have continued success with your Starlink System. Post back here as time goes on with more feedback.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Figured this is worth an update:
Almost a year on and everything has been smooth sailing.
:)

Most speed tests come back between 220-260 mbps down and 15-16 up.
Highest download speed registered as 312 back in January.

Last edited:
-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General

Smokin" ;)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
All told with the equipment purchase, it is averaging out to $170 per month for the first year. As long as the dish continues to hold up, that monthly cost will continue to drop. Considering when I canceled xfinity/comcast business, we were paying something like 240 and they were pushing us to update our service because it was an old product they no longer offered, promising us faster speeds… at a higher monthly cost… :rolleyes:

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord

That's very impressive for sat internet. HughesNet needs to up their game significantly to even try to compete.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
That's very impressive for sat internet. HughesNet needs to up their game significantly to even try to compete.
When I signed up, I checked the numbers and nothing came close to the promise Starlink made. From what I understand, Hughes may have done some upgrades, but I can't imagine now that they are doing anything better for the cost.

I think the next big step will be if the Satellite to Mobile Phone really catches. My understanding is the Apple SOS over satellite works pretty well... But Starlink is talking about cutting out the cellular network altogether!

That would be the real game changer right there. Along with free electricity being "broadcast" a la Nicola Tesla. ;)

Tankini

Tankini

Full Audioholic
"My understanding is the Apple SOS over satellite works pretty well... But Starlink is talking about cutting out the cellular network altogether"

It does work well, set it up on my iPhone 14 pro max. But like you stated, Supposed to be using only for emergencies. Where no cellular services available or Wi-Fi calling.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis