Star Wars "The Force Awakens"

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Any one going to either watch it or own it on BluRay?

and the spoof trailer

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Yeaaa, I'll go watch it. I like the newest Star Trek movies so I've got to at least give the new Star Wars a shot.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Unless they manage to put out something worse than Episode 1, I think its a guarantee that it'll be in my collection some day.
I did a Star Wars marathon over the weekend and I found C3PO much more irritating than Jaja Binks. C3PO seems to be the "Debbie Downer" /

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I will watch for sure.

There is New Hope of erasing the memory of Lucas' pure crap Episodes 01-03.

Hopefully the latest SW will be the new drug that can finally treat the dysgeusia from Ep. 01-03.

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I will watch for sure.

Hopefully the latest SW will be the new drug that can finally treat the dysgeusia from Ep. 01-03.
Episode 1 wasn't so bad. I really disliked the actor who played Anaken in the last two episodes.. freaken whiney pouty Baby

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Ok...

Breakdown of how I see the Star Wars films (not shows/books/other works).

Star Wars Episode I: Phantom Menace

This film was made at the dawn of major motion pictures that made wide use of special effects to augment films. Despite the fact the Yoda puppet had been left sitting for years and no longer looked like it used to it was nice to see them use it nonetheless (more on that later). The film did grab my interest early on but started to lose it's composure when the Jedis landed on Naboo with the Federation army. The Federation apparently thought it made the most strategic sense to land it's huge army on the opposite side of the planet or at least far enough away that when the Jedis go to the Gungun city they have to pass through the planet core to get to the Naboo city. It became apparent the rest of this movie would be like this at this point, I need go no further.

What I liked about it: Relatively decent quantity of quality practical effects mixed with CGI. It was the first Star Wars movie in years. Darth Maul was actually cool.

What I didn't like about it: Qui Gon Gin is an idiot. Anakin is annoying. Queen Amadilla is boring. It's immediately obvious who the sith lord is. The Trade Federation is completely incompetent. Jar Jar...

Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones

This film is totally reliant on CGI creatures and backgrounds. Yoda is now digital and can jump around and wield a cute little green lightsaber to match his skin color (how original). Anakin is a whiny baby as was pointed out by 3db, but I get the strong impression he was meant to be a whiner. The story makes a little more sense than the last film (I think).

What I liked about it: Obi Wan was better and more memorable, the story had more cohesion.

What I didn't like about it: Green screen sets that made it clear the actors had no clue what was happening. Digital Yoda. Weird voice changes to the droids to make them more affable? Jar Jar is still alive.

Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

Same as the previous film is entirely too reliant on CGI and it shows. Story is clear but completely predictable because we know pretty much exactly is going to happen as soon as Anakin tells Padme he had a premonition of her death at child birth. Palpatine is entertaining as the emperor but senselessly overpowered to move the plot along. Apparently he can cloud every jedi's mind in the galaxy. A better script could have him doing maneuvers in order to keep from being caught red handed while bureaucracy kept the Jedi from removing him from power.

What I liked about it: The Emperor is engaging to watch unfurl his plan. The fight between him and Yoda was more engaging than I thought it would be.

What I didn't like about it: It's frustrating to watch the Jedi be oblivious to Palpatine even when he pretty much exposes his true nature in front of anakin in the weird light show. The fight between anakin and obi wan was as boring as watching paint dry. Jar Jar is still alive!?!?!

I'll wait to do my opines of the original trilogy for later.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I did a Star Wars marathon over the weekend and I found C3PO much more irritating than Jaja Binks. C3PO seems to be the "Debbie Downer" /
C3PO is a downer, but then again the situations he kept finding himself in weren't prone to lift his spirits. In Ep 4, he's on a ship that's attacked by a Star Destroyer; he barely escapes this predicament to find himself on a crummy backwater desert planet where he's captured by Jawas, etc.

Jar Jar on the other hand is an outcast even among his own people...and it's not hard to see why :D

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I will watch for sure.

Yes but what will erase the crap that was the last 2 Star Trek movies? Oh wait Jar Jar Abrams is at the helm. That should make it so much better. NOT!

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
1. I liked the last two Star Trek Movies, and this is coming from a kid raised on Star Trek the Original Cast

2. I will be at another NERD CON, Star Wars Celebration in April which is supposed to release a new trailer,
we shall see.

As a side hobby I go with my buddy to the CONS to buy exclusive toys and resell on ebay. Last Trip basically paid for my T1s in profit. :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yes but what will erase the crap that was the last 2 Star Trek movies? Oh wait Jar Jar Abrams is at the helm. That should make it so much better. NOT!
I actually thought the old Star Trek movies were too boring. :D

I don't think the Abrams Star Trek movies are awesome, but I think they're more exciting. :)

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I actually thought the old Star Trek movies were too boring. :D

I don't think the Abrams Star Trek movies are awesome, but I think they're more exciting. :)
Call me crazy but I prefer an involved storyline with character development over mindless action. For that you have Michael Bay Transformer movies :)

The original movies like ST II, III, IV, VI and VIII (First Contact) simply blow away anything Abrams could ever dream of doing with Star Trek IMO.

Watch all 7 seasons of DS9 and you will get great storyline, character development and action with only 20% or so episodes that either suck or just too silly. Sadly I don't think we will be getting a Star Trek show again for a long time. It's far more profitable to make mindless action flicks that appeal to the masses over a well produced TV show.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Call me crazy but I prefer an involved storyline with character development over mindless action. For that you have Michael Bay Transformer movies :)

The original movies like ST II, III, IV, VI and VIII (First Contact) simply blow away anything Abrams could ever dream of doing with Star Trek IMO.

Watch all 7 seasons of DS9 and you will get great storyline, character development and action with only 20% or so episodes that either suck or just too silly. Sadly I don't think we will be getting a Star Trek show again for a long time. It's far more profitable to make mindless action flicks that appeal to the masses over a well produced TV show.
I don't necessarily think it's a fair comparison, when you take the same actors (characters) that you grew up watching from the TV Series against a reboot with a new cast.

The first Star Trek movie was absolutely painful to watch, slow, uninteresting side characters.

Star Trek II Wrath of Khan took its history from a TV episode, so you already had a lot of backstory already established. I really liked this one

Star Trek III again was slow moving, (see a trend here, the evens seem to be better movies IMO)

Star Trek IV I thought was one of it's best movies with a lot of character development, albeit a little corny

Star Trek V I think Robert Ebert Said it best

"the humans and the Klingons seem to join sides after an off-camera speech by a former Klingon leader who had been put out to pasture. Since this leader is identified as having been badly treated by the Klingons in his retirement, how did he suddenly regain the authority to negotiate a truce? And do we really want to see the mighty Klingons reduced to the status of guests at a cocktail party?"

Star Trek VI It is my personal favorite out of all the Star Trek Movies, has good plot, good secondary characters and fun interaction between the "Old Crew"

On Star Trek DS9 - I just hated the Ferengi, just annoying side characters, but the rest of the cast was very good, I like the story line over multiple episodes, even more when Warv become more a part of the series.

My favorite series, besides the original, was Enterprise (end of season 1 going into season 2) Most of The cast shared the spotlight, fun interesting character development until it fell off the wagon towards the end of the last season.

On the new movies, yes lets face it, we are a more action driven society when it comes to our Science Fiction. I do like the first one as it delves into Spok's Childhood, shows the relationship with his mother and we get a little more sense of who he is and how he feels like an outsider to both volcuns and humans. I also like how they took a twist on Kirk's backstory.

If you got past this long and quickly written reply...here is your reward

Spok vs Spok

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

I have to admit I was never an ardent ST fan and never kept up with the ST TV series.

In general I definitely prefer great TV series over the movies any day. In fact, these days I mainly watch TV shows and feel less and less compelled to go to the movie theaters.

Imagine an entire season of Star Trek with 28 episodes condensed to a single 2 hr movie. Absolutely no contest.

I think the "issue" with the old Star Trek movies was that the audience had to already know much about the Star Trek shows and universe. "Casual" audience who didn't keep up probably couldn't appreciate all the drawn-out storyline; they would much prefer a "footnote" version. :D

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I loved DS9 and TNG and movies like ST II, III, IV, and VI. First Contact is great too.

With that being said, I really enjoyed the new ST movies as well. I am looking forward to the new Star Wars films. I'm sure they'll be better than episodes I-III.

ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
Maybe I just don't have any romanticism but I find episodes 4-6 difficult to watch. Majority of the acting is ok at best, the directing is ... bad, and the FX though great for their time can't distract me from the other down falls.
Episodes 1-3 biggest downfall in my opinion is direction. I admit Anakin is a problem but I can't believe that the final footages for them is the best of what was shot, it just can't. I could have fluked a better performance.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis