Star Trek "Into Darkness"

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Did you guys just ruin the movie's reveal for me? :rolleyes:

I don't really watch Trek movies or shows for deep meaning :) While different series did have various levels of inquisitiveness, it is just entertainment, so as long as the movie entertains me, I will be OK.

Last edited:
lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I tried that game but didn't get very far. I occasionally play Star Trek Legacy on XBOX360 but nobody plays it anymore.
It's free to play now making it a nice diversion for a Trekkie. I still find it funny that they use piloted ships to attack each other. We've already moved past that.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
It's free to play now making it a nice diversion for a Trekkie. I still find it funny that they use piloted ships to attack each other. We've already moved past that.
Last time I tried the game, I couldnt get past the first board where you're supposed to do something at a base while avoiding the Borg. I just want to engage ship battles, not missions. I miss Star Trek Armada. If anyone has Legacy for XBOX 360, I'd love to school ya ;)

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I saw Into Darkness this weekend with my wife. She complained the whole time about feeling carsick, and that we were sitting too close. It's probably a good thing that we didn't see the 3D version.

I liked it in general and agree that the casting was the best thing about it, especially Benedict Cumberbatch as Khan. As always, I still have mixed admire/hate feelings about Kirk, so I guess he is also well cast.

I agree with markw about Chekov. That actor left me wondering what he was doing there.

Simon Pegg as Scotty – at least he does a Scottish accent more convincingly. No more "Aye cap'n, I don't think I can keep up this fake Scottish accent much longer."

And so far no one has even mentioned the blond bimbo "torpedo expert". Like any new crew member in Star Trek, she is likely to be killed soon. Just a soon as they thaw out Khan for the next movie.

Did anyone else wonder about the "technology of the future" from Star Trek TOS and how it looks now, more than 40 years since TOS? I'm talking about big video screens and those flip phone Star Fleet communicators. Big video screens don't generate excitement anymore, and we all (OK, most of us :rolleyes:) have discarded flip phones for 'more advanced' tiny keyboard smart phones. I'm still waiting for a new technology microwave oven combined with a transporter so we can have fresh hot pizza delivered that isn't soggy.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
And so far no one has even mentioned the blond bimbo "torpedo expert". Like any new crew member in Star Trek, she is likely to be killed soon. Just a soon as they thaw out Khan for the next movie.
I don't think so. From some of the dialog, my gut tells me she'll be the "replacement" for Nurse Chapel from TOS. That, and she was in the final crew pan and scan at the end of the movie.

Last edited:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Anyone get the bluray? blu-ray.com gave it a rave review for pq/sq.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Anyone get the bluray? blu-ray.com gave it a rave review for pq/sq.
I got it from Amazon this afternoon, and watched it with the wife this evening (at "wife friendly" levels). SQ/PQ seem to be comparable to the first reboot, which is to say very good as it's one of my go-to demo discs. I've got to wait until the weekend though to push the volume past -25dB from reference and get a real feel for it :D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
... and watched it with the wife this evening (at "wife friendly" levels). ... I've got to wait until the weekend though to push the volume past -25dB from reference and get a real feel for it :D
You too? I have to wait until she goes on a trip:eek: Interesting because then the questions fly: what did they say?
How did you get it so fast from Amazon? Mine won't be here for another day or two, so they say.:rolleyes:

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Just won the BD on ebay. It should be here by Saturday!:DWe can watch it altogether.:eek:

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

I had the wife stop by the movie store to pick this up as a rental. All I have to say is I will be going out and buying this tomorrow. With consideration to prior comments I am not buying this because of how true it stays to the series.. But for the fact that it is a great action flick and excellent pq and amazing Sq. It reminded me of why I am in this hobby!

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I had the wife stop by the movie store to pick this up as a rental. All I have to say is I will be going out and buying this tomorrow. With consideration to prior comments I am not buying this because of how true it stays to the series.. But for the fact that it is a great action flick and excellent pq and amazing Sq. It reminded me of why I am in this hobby!
Just mute the extremely cheesy scene when Spock yells "Khan". I cringed at that part in the movie theater ;)

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Mine arrived from Amazon yesterday as well, and I watched it. I enjoyed it :)

J

jayleaf

Audioholic Intern
i watched "into darkness" last night and have to say i was a little disappointed overall. i felt the movie was just too cluttered with overlong CGI scenes. for example kirk and khan zipping between the the enterprise the federation super ship just went on and on without any point other than them dodging debris for five minutes. and even the pursuit scene with spock chasing down khan at the end just went on way too long as an excuse for more CGI. honestly i would like to have seen less special effects and a more streamlined story. it also seemed pointless having leonard nimoy telling his counterpart he can't tell him anything to alter his future and then tells him anyway. seriously i think they could have cut 15 or 20 minutes and made a much better movie.

i've been a lifelong star trek fan so i can live with the plot holes cuz star trek always had plenty of those and i don't really care that much they rewrote khans character, although i can understand how purists would be put off by it. i suppose it would be a little like changing spidermans origin story, since khan has been a legendary character in the trek franchise.

B

big2bird

Junior Audioholic
I have been into Star Trek since the first episode on TV. I have seen them all. This first reboot was pretty good. I also think into darkness had a lame script. I thought the second one sucked. But that's just me I guess.
I hope ABrahm's doesn't screw up Star Wars also.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I never liked the TV show and enjoyed most of the movies, so It does not bother me with some changes, keeps it fresh. Looking forward to it as I like the 1st one. Alice Eve is another reason to watch also.:eek: Enjoy Fuzz.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I never liked the TV show and enjoyed most of the movies, so It does not bother me with some changes, keeps it fresh. Looking forward to it as I like the 1st one. Alice Eve is another reason to watch also.:eek: Enjoy Fuzz.
Lot of fun to watch. Really made me wish I could use the whole screen or have a bigger one. I felt like it was louder than many other films I've watched lately. Usually I can bump a movie up to -6 and be fine. This one I was cringing a bit at even -10. I definitely agree that the PQ/SQ was excellent, though. I already want to watch it again.:)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis