Star Trek III death of David Marcus

D

Dolby CP-200

Banned
Now I know it’s not a cheery thread the title may sound a little morbid, well there it is.

Did anyone notice how good the death scene was with Star Trek III the Search For Spock where a Klingon knifes Dr. David Marcus him in the chest! The depth was deep down to 40Hz and placed in the centre channel.

Now I know not everyone could install huge JBL 4675-A in there home cinema to get the same effect. We have to rely on smaller loudspeakers and sub bass speakers to reproduce the scene.

But how many of you have felt it?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
What did you do, use a spectrum analyzer at that instant and an spl meter, or the signal level, re FS? What was it? 40Hz should not be a problem to reproduce properly with an LFE.

But, I wonder, would anyone feel that effect in real life? Any combat vets with such experience?:eek:

D

Dolby CP-200

Banned
mtrycrafts

That’s why film soundtracks are completely fabricated. As for feeling it in real life yes very possible! If I where an observer and placed my hands to the side of the body while laying on the ground yes I would feel it!

If the person was laying on a table all I would have to do is place my hands on the table to feel the vibration of the knife crunching it’s way though the chest cavity, yes very possible!!

What matters is how many of you with your home cinema set-ups, how many of you can feel this type of effect without the centre channel signal getting out of control wherefore it could possibly damage the bass mid driver due to carelessness!

Most would have to send this signal over to a sub bass for reproduction of the playback to be presented to you!

Anyway give it a go if any of you happen to have Star Trek III play the scene and then notice what happens when Kirk, gives Kruge the boot and when Kirk is stand with Spock just when the ground completely collapses from around them!:eek: :D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Dolby CP-200 said:
mtrycrafts

That’s why film soundtracks are completely fabricated. As for feeling it in real life yes very possible! If I where an observer and placed my hands to the side of the body while laying on the ground yes I would feel it!

If the person was laying on a table all I would have to do is place my hands on the table to feel the vibration of the knife crunching it’s way though the chest cavity, yes very possible!!

What matters is how many of you with your home cinema set-ups, how many of you can feel this type of effect without the centre channel signal getting out of control wherefore it could possibly damage the bass mid driver due to carelessness!

Most would have to send this signal over to a sub bass for reproduction of the playback to be presented to you!

Anyway give it a go if any of you happen to have Star Trek III play the scene and then notice what happens when Kirk, gives Kruge the boot and when Kirk is stand with Spock just when the ground completely collapses from around them!:eek: :D

Well, we are still back at it. What is the signal intensity as recorded at that time period? If it is -20dBFS and 40 Hz, that should be played back no problem. 40 Hz is very audible.

D

Dolby CP-200

Banned
mtrycrafts

I’ll have to run the film later and check the output levels of the centre channel with and without audio limiters!

I’ll have a feedback on this later in the day. It’s only 06.20am around mid day UK time.

mtrycrafts said:
What did you do, use a spectrum analyzer at that instant and an spl meter, or the signal level, re FS? What was it? 40Hz should not be a problem to reproduce properly with an LFE.

But, I wonder, would anyone feel that effect in real life? Any combat vets with such experience?
You are such a geek.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Clint DeBoer said:
You are such a geek.

Well, how else would I see if it can be duplicated by mere mortal equipment without overboosting the sub:D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Dolby CP-200 said:
mtrycrafts

I’ll have to run the film later and check the output levels of the centre channel with and without audio limiters!

I’ll have a feedback on this later in the day. It’s only 06.20am around mid day UK time.

Hey, thanks. That will be great. :D

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I never bothered to buy the old Star Trek movies on DVD before ST VI because I assumed the sound quality would be so poor. I always liked ST III b/c of Christopher Lloyd as Klingon.

Regardless if there is actual bass sent to the center channel, you will likely benefit by setting the center to small and letting the sub(s) reproduce it.

In my system (which is one of the few exceptions to this rule), I have my center set to large b/c it integrates better with my subs and it can handle the bass.

You Klingon Bastard.... You Killed my Son! :)

D

Dolby CP-200

Banned
gene

The six-track Dolby stereo mixes they are on par with what I heard on the 70mm prints at the Empire Leicester square 18 years ago. I have a good 100% memory when it comes to sound the way it sounded and felt and the Empire took the 70mm Dolby stereo THX presentation to a level where most home cinemas would be crawling to keep up with it on the sound level I Kidd you not!

So the DVD are great from Star Trek II III IV V and though VI is a different version that wasn’t seen in the cinema that is the laserdisc and the two different DVD versions it still holds up and I have to keep pitching myself and saying, I’m not at the Empire but it sure sounds and feels like it.

Star Trek II does have an original 1982 version but I was totally surprised with the perfect sound effects editing and ADR with the special edition 10/10!

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Dolby CP-200 said:
The six-track Dolby stereo mixes they are on par with what I heard on the 70mm prints at the Empire Leicester square 18 years ago. I have a good 100% memory when it comes to sound

That is a most interesting claim, a 100% accuracy for sound at least 18 years in the past.:eek:

J

jsantos615

Junior Audioholic
gene said:
I never bothered to buy the old Star Trek movies on DVD before ST VI because I assumed the sound quality would be so poor. I always liked ST III b/c of Christopher Lloyd as Klingon.

Regardless if there is actual bass sent to the center channel, you will likely benefit by setting the center to small and letting the sub(s) reproduce it.

In my system (which is one of the few exceptions to this rule), I have my center set to large b/c it integrates better with my subs and it can handle the bass.

You Klingon Bastard.... You Killed my Son! :)
I can't put my finger on it, but this is one of the best threads EVER...or my glass of wine is good too...

Anyway...have any of your guys every played around with a sub for your center channel? I know that deftech put powered subs in their one or two of their centers a couple of years back... I have an old powered sub and was going to experiment, since we just got hit by and ice storm and I'm hanging at home for a day or so...

W

westcott

Audioholic General
I can't put my finger on it, but this is one of the best threads EVER...or my glass of wine is good too...

Anyway...have any of your guys every played around with a sub for your center channel? ...
I tried my Altec Valencias as a center channel before I bought new speakers because I love them so much but it just did not work out. Placing three more of these monsters in the room was just TOO much and locating them in good condition was nearly impossible.

I did test them with different bass managment settings and even though they are as close to full range as most people will get, it still sounded better having the RSW15 handle everything under 60Hz. This is probably because my room is not acoustically treated extensively other than thick curtains and an insulated floor.

PPGMD

PPGMD

Audiophyte
I have Star Trek 2,4,6,7,8,and 10. I will have to check Worst Buy for a deal on 3 to check this out. Otherwise I will rent it.

You must really be a fan to own anything but 2,4,6, and 8. I find 1,3,5,7,9, and 10 damn near unwatchable. I only own 7 and 10 because I saw them on special at Worst Buy.

A

AndrewLyles

Audioholic
I have Star Trek 2,4,6,7,8,and 10. I will have to check Worst Buy for a deal on 3 to check this out. Otherwise I will rent it.

You must really be a fan to own anything but 2,4,6, and 8. I find 1,3,5,7,9, and 10 damn near unwatchable. I only own 7 and 10 because I saw them on special at Worst Buy.
No way...I bought the collectors box set last year...every Trek movie in gigantic boxed collection. It sits proudly above the TV...much like Scorsese's lone oscar.

J

jsantos615

Junior Audioholic
I tried my Altec Valencias as a center channel before I bought new speakers because I love them so much but it just did not work out. Placing three more of these monsters in the room was just TOO much and locating them in good condition was nearly impossible.

I did test them with different bass managment settings and even though they are as close to full range as most people will get, it still sounded better having the RSW15 handle everything under 60Hz. This is probably because my room is not acoustically treated extensively other than thick curtains and an insulated floor.
thanks...!

I never got around to doing the sub/center experiment. Trivial pursuits such as salting the driveway so nobody slips and pruning dangerous tree limbs kept me plenty busy.

J

jsantos615

Junior Audioholic
Klingon Bastards! You killed my son!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis