Star Trek II The Wrath Of Khan (1982) PAL laserdisc

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Beaming in yesterday mornings post, STAR TREK II THE WRATH OF KHAN (1982) PAL UK, 1984 pressing, this is the second edition on laserdisc that I own, first being later letterbox 1991 pressing, and sevreal DVD and bluray. What is great about this pressing is its a theatrical 35mm print release, not an interpositve release.

The opening starts off letterbox and instantly at same time knew it was a 35mm print as I can hear the typical optical soundtrack faint crackle/pops underneath the soundtrack. There are a few jumps in the print maybe where there was print-damage and was cut out and spliced back together.

This is also the cut version, no Ceti Ell in the ear scene.

There is good amount of low end sub bass extension on this pressing.

Reel change over dots, are mostly visible on the P/S in upper right corners or more half visible depending one where the p/s is looking on the film?

Watched/listened to it twice, morning show and afternoon show, it was like being the cinema, the home cinema.

STAR TREK II THE WRATH OF KHAN (1982)
Dolby Stereo / Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System / JBL professional x73 speakers.

The opening score sounded nice with bass/sub bass that was felt from the start with 40Hz pulse waving up and down and growing stronger at same time.

^ film P/S zooms on the scope which is a bit of shame really as this pressing would be great in 2.35:1 with the theatrical Dolby Stereo mix. The later 1991 pressing was treated with a 2.35:1 with PCM and analog Dolby Stereo.

The actual image on the LG looks better I can only program the digital camera to get the best picture with manual mode/ISO settings. The picture is way better than bluray in terms of colour the whites look better the red uniforms is the correct colour, skin tones look spot as well.

KHANNN!!!

I wasn't really that surprised to see reel change over dots. I heard them from the start of the film with that optical soundtrack crackle/pop/bumps and slight hiss, but nothing that my Dolby CP500 can't do with A-type to clean up the noise, even tried Dolby SR and that gave the mix a killer chesty more bass on the chest.

Reel change over dot visible ^ again just count 10 seconds when seeing the first one and standby for B projector for switching over.

The stage bass, surrounds and sub bass extension rumbled deeply as the Reliant closes in for firing range of Enterprise.

Side change and Pioneer DVL-909 will handle that automatically within a few seconds.

End credits switches to letterbox.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis