Star Trek HD DVD...Worth It?

B

Blundaar

Audioholic
Although I don't have a HD player yet, I was wondering if this season 1 set is better from a audio / video point of view on the DVD side (compared to Paramounts' last original S.T. offering). I'm not a purist, so the computer enhanced space sequences are no big deal. I am concerned, however, about the long-term viability of the duel disks. All comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
I have the standard DVD version. It has been massively restored, but is still nowhere near as good as my DVD player is capable of. Let's face it, there is only so much that can be done with such old film, so I don't see why getting it in hi def would be an improvement.

B

Blundaar

Audioholic
Not according to what reviews I could get a hold of. It's pretty much a given that Paramount is going to milk this franchise for all it's worth... each release being progressively better than the next. Still, I would rather hear from people that have the disks as compared to a potentially paid-off critic!

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Hidefdigest gave it a good review, and they tend to be pretty good with their reviews. I was planning on picking it up based on their assessment. I just don't think it's worth the price they're asking for the set. I keep trying to get it on eBay, but they never seem to sell for less than $100.

B

Blundaar

Audioholic
Hidefdigest gave it a good review, and they tend to be pretty good with their reviews. I was planning on picking it up based on their assessment. I just don't think it's worth the price they're asking for the set. I keep trying to get it on eBay, but they never seem to sell for less than $100.
Just read the review. Most complete review yet. Many thanks!:)

B

Blundaar

Audioholic
Follow-up...

Broke down and bought it at Costco yesterday. Really nice! Paramount may be acting like pimps when it comes to S.T., but pimps that care about the material.
Now I just need, eventually, a HD-DVD player with HD audio decoding on-board (I guess that would be the Toshiba HD-A35). Until then, the SD-DVD will keep me quite happy:)

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis