Stacking Tower Speaker on sub?

S

sw3ll3r3

Audioholic Intern
I Have a Dayton 1200 sub, Dayton T652 Towers, Dayton B562 air Bookshelfs, and a Dayton CCS-33B Center. I am thinking about getting another sub to have better overall coverage of my apartment. My apartment is completely open, its a loft so it has a lot of area to fill. There are a few areas in the apartment that are acting like a dead zone I guess you could say.

The only way to fit another 1200 is to stack the Towers on to it (obvisouly I would have to secure it), but would the vibration from the sub change the way the towers play?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
You typically want the tweeters at ear height, or at least pointed down/up towards your ears.

S

sw3ll3r3

Audioholic Intern
here is a layout of my apartment. It isn't to scale clearly lol. The dotted line represents the loft that over looks the living area. The red is my tv and speakers. The whole apartment is open due to the loft so my ceiling is 8 feet and then slants like 12 feet up and the flattens back out. Where would be good sub placement if I were to get a second one if stacking is a bad idea?

The big sideways L is my couch.

Attachments

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Generally a tower will have the tweeter positioned to be close to ear height in a seated position without raising it up. One thing that strikes me about your layout are your L/R speakers being so close together. Generally you want the L/R speakers an equal distance from each other as well as your listening position, forming roughly an equilateral triangle. Corner loading of speakers can increase bass response, too.

S

sw3ll3r3

Audioholic Intern
Generally a tower will have the tweeter positioned to be close to ear height in a seated position without raising it up. One thing that strikes me about your layout are your L/R speakers being so close together. Generally you want the L/R speakers an equal distance from each other as well as your listening position, forming roughly an equilateral triangle. Corner loading of speakers can increase bass response, too.
My couch is so big it really doesn't allow me to arrange my living area differently. If I were to add another sub can you give me a good location based on my apartment layout?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I've got a big L shaped couch that can be challenging as well, in my current room I had to pick which seats face the speakers, as angling it won't fit well, and using a corner for my tv/speakers isn't going to happen. Do you need all the seats on the couch to see the tv for entertainment purposes rather than taking it out of the corner and facing one side of the "L"?

S

sw3ll3r3

Audioholic Intern
To me looks matter as well and it looks the best in the corner.

S

sw3ll3r3

Audioholic Intern
Then you may have to give up some acoustic goodness...

Oh, as to positioning subs have you read about the sub crawl yet?
I did. Once again my living setup limits me. I can't necessarily put it in a corner beside here (See attached file). my kitchen takes up a corner, my bathroom take up the other, my balcony door takes up the last corner.

Attachments

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hard sometimes to find that balance for aesthetics/utility and good audio....

S

sw3ll3r3

Audioholic Intern
UPDATE:

Well, I broke down and bought another Dayton 1200 powered sub... lol. The girlfriend is surprisingly not annoyed by it. I get my new TV stand on Friday and the sub should be here tomorrow (Perks of parts express and being a few hour from their warehouse), so once I set everything back up Ill provide a picture of my placement of everything!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The only way to fit another 1200 is to stack the Towers on to it (obvisouly I would have to secure it), but would the vibration from the sub change the way the towers play?
If they sound great, then it is not an issue. :D

I have modular towers, which means the 30" monitor sits atop the 30" subwoofer. They sound great.

S

sw3ll3r3

Audioholic Intern
If they sound great, then it is not an issue. :D

I have modular towers, which means the 30" monitor sits atop the 30" subwoofer. They sound great.
You have a 30" sub for home audio? Please post a picture that is awesome

S

sw3ll3r3

Audioholic Intern
Well, the subwoofer cabinet is 30" tall and the tweeters/midrange cabinet is 30" tall.

Oh okay lol I thought you had a 30" woofer, I was impressed. But I'm still impressed that is a lot of speakers.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Oh okay lol I thought you had a 30" woofer, I was impressed. But I'm still impressed that is a lot of speakers.
Bottom line: you can definitely stack the speaker atop the subwoofer as long as they sound great. ;)

S

sw3ll3r3

Audioholic Intern
Bottom line: you can definitely stack the speaker atop the subwoofer as long as they sound great. ;)
Well thanks for the reply. Home audio is a lot differernt than car audio. We build to be loud not the perfect balance of everything. For example, I had 6 15's on 8k watts for my sub stage and 4 8" mids and 2 super tweeters on 1000 watts for my front stage. So Clearly the bass was much louder and over powered the mids and highs, but in car audio we don't car we want to be loud.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
When I owned the KEF Reference 201/2 monitors and Funk Audio 18.0 subs, I placed the KEF 201/2 on speaker stands atop the Funk subs.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis