splitting sub cable

S

splatee

Audioholic Intern
Hello,

i did a search about this and still have a question. I am hooking up 2 subs. One is a velodyne vx-10 and the other is a phase technology octave 1.0 15 inch. Now i have noticed that if i just have the phase tech hooked up it will stay on but when i have the velodyne also it seems to turn off. I ran the set up on the pioneer vsx-918 and it has the sub level set to -8. Before i had it at about +3 and had no problems. Now if i set it to +3 it still shuts off it i have the volume to low. I have the sub volume set to about 9:00 position. Could having the other sub connected cause the signal to weaken?

Thank you

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Could having the other sub connected cause the signal to weaken?
It could. This could be confusing the power on/off circuitry in the subs. They may each have different "tolerances".

You might want to try boosting the LFE output from the receiver to help the auto-power-on circuits on the individual subs and backing off the gain controls on the subs to compensate for that.

S

septim

Audioholic
Thanks I always wondered whether splitting would cause any change in performance as well.

Epetrone

Epetrone

Audioholic Intern
Same Voltage

when you use a "y" connector you are keeping the same voltage on the line but you are splitting the current. Voltage is constant in a parallel circuit and current varies with the load (each sub). As stated above, each sub probably has its own threshold. I would turn up the gain on the reciever and lower each gain independantly untill you reach a spot where everything works the way it should.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis