Speakers for heavy metal?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Also for rock but these are said to measure well with everything the Emotiva T3+

t3_duo_web_1080x.png

Same price as the JBL 698's these would be my top 2 picks for what you want especially since you like to crank it.

I bought a sub from this line the XS15 and am very impressed with Emotivas build quality that sub is impressive

20230914_221531.jpg

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I would love to take them off your hands. But…life. My s-312II’s will have to keep working for awhile.
The problem for me is I'll need to sell them local the boxes got destroyed when they were shipped.
That's an issue with JBL if OP does go with these I'd tell him to have the company double box them Crutchfield did my last one for no extra charge they are not very well boxed.

But JBL had to cut costs somewhere I reckon to get you that much speaker at that low price

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
The problem for me is I'll need to sell them local the boxes got destroyed when they were shipped.
That's an issue with JBL if OP does go with these I'd tell him to have the company double box them Crutchfield did my last one for no extra charge they are not very well boxed.

But JBL had to cut costs somewhere I reckon to get you that much speaker at that low price
I’ve seen for awhile that JBL has had boxing issues. I mean all they’d have to do is ask the Samsung mothership for a little more money for boxing lol. Crutchfield is a great company. It surprised they made accommodations for you.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
That particular model seemed more suited for home theater. The kick drum was pretty weak definitely have any type of extended base. I was using emotivo power amp so they were getting plenty of power. I don't know they just sounded thin to me. Yes I am definitely open to using a subwoofer. I don't know what my budget is but I don't want to go too crazy but also don't want to compromise.
You are getting some pretty good suggestions here, and I especially like the JBL Studio suggestions. One tower that you might try is the HECO Aurora 1000s - pretty good deal especially when on sale. Throw in a couple of BIC PL-300 subs to supplement the low end. Another high-value system I think might be really good for your circumstances is a pair of Hsu CCB-8s on top of some Polk HTS-12 subwoofers. That would be punchy and image very well. Another great sub/bookshelf pairing would be the Monoprice Monolith THX-365s on some Hsu VTF-2 mk5s. There are a lot of ways you could go here that would be great, and these are just a few suggestions.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
You are getting some pretty good suggestions here, and I especially like the JBL Studio suggestions. One tower that you might try is the HECO Aurora 1000s - pretty good deal especially when on sale. Throw in a couple of BIC PL-300 subs to supplement the low end. Another high-value system I think might be really good for your circumstances is a pair of Hsu CCB-8s on top of some Polk HTS-12 subwoofers. That would be punchy and image very well. Another great sub/bookshelf pairing would be the Monoprice Monolith THX-365s on some Hsu VTF-2 mk5s. There are a lot of ways you could go here that would be great, and these are just a few suggestions.
I also really like the CCB-8s that's a great suggestion Shady those would have been my top pick for my in room purchase if I hadn't found such a sweet deal on those M&K's I'm still planning on trying some out next year

S

Sassafras LLC

Audioholic Intern
I really appreciate the suggestions I'm looking in to all of these. I'm leaning toward JBL but those mid-range cabinets that you stack on top of a subwoofer looks very promising I'd like to do a little more research on them.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Space is space.
I use old mini shelf speakers in one system , Klipsch icon duel 6.5” towers in one.
Been dealing with bad tinnitus it hurts. Tv speakers hurt it the worse. What size speaker are you looking for ? No bad choices.

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
I’m running Arendal 1723 towers with a SVS SB100 Pro sub in each front corner and they absolutely crank and dip down to 20 Hz. Black Sabbath‘s first 5 albums sound amazing and the pipe organ from ELPs 3 fates can rattle the walls.

S

Sassafras LLC

Audioholic Intern
I’m running Arendal 1723 towers with a SVS SB100 Pro sub in each front corner and they absolutely crank and dip down to 20 Hz. Black Sabbath‘s first 5 albums sound amazing and the pipe organ from ELPs 3 fates can rattle the walls.
Man I just downloaded Emerson lake and Palmer I can't believe I've never heard of this band. They have a crap ton of bass! I like that flat songs but also like the barbarian LOL. I appreciate you turning me on to that music. I have a real high quality sound system in my car and the pipe organ sounds crazy blasting through my speakers. I'm running Scanspeak 7-in mids in my doors with Morel Alto tweeters. This band ELP sounds crazy in my car!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Damn Arendal is another great option I forgot about them great suggestion.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Man I just downloaded Emerson lake and Palmer I can't believe I've never heard of this band. They have a crap ton of bass! I like that flat songs but also like the barbarian LOL. I appreciate you turning me on to that music. I have a real high quality sound system in my car and the pipe organ sounds crazy blasting through my speakers. I'm running Scanspeak 7-in mids in my doors with Morel Alto tweeters. This band ELP sounds crazy in my car!
Having been listening to ELP since 1971 myself....hard to imagine missing them altogether. I even had tea with Carl Palmer once. There are some good remixes (including 5.1) by Steven Wilson, too.

S

Stegman

Enthusiast
I listen to the same music, I am very happy with my Cerwin Vega 380SE. CW AT-15 or D9 will be good as well.

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
Cerwin Vegas are great for heavy metal And not very expensive. The bass is dominant. Had a pair in college and used to rock the building from the 3rd floor. Crushed the system the guys had on the 2nd floor right below me. Good old college stereo wars.

S

Sassafras LLC

Audioholic Intern
Cerwin Vegas are great for heavy metal And not very expensive. The bass is dominant. Had a pair in college and used to rock the building from the 3rd floor. Crushed the system the guys had on the 2nd floor right below me. Good old college stereo wars.

Yeah but the speakers recommended earlier by cerwin Vega are no longer available and they're pretty hard to find

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
Yeah but the speakers recommended earlier by cerwin Vega are no longer available and they're pretty hard to find
Not sure about the other recommendation but just looked at Their web site CerwinVega.com has the S.L.-15 3 ways With a 15 inch woofer for $499. They are similar to the old ones I had back in the day.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I don't think Cerwin-Vegas were ever good for metal unless you only wanted an inexpensive loudspeaker that could play loud. The few measurements for Cerwin-Vegas I have ever seen were not impressive and showed evidence of a lot of cone break-up. Metal recordings can often be somewhat harsh, so why would you want the loudspeaker to exacerbate that?

S

Sassafras LLC

Audioholic Intern
I don't think Cerwin-Vegas were ever good for metal unless you only wanted an inexpensive loudspeaker that could play loud. The few measurements for Cerwin-Vegas I have ever seen were not impressive and showed evidence of a lot of cone break-up. Metal recordings can often be somewhat harsh, so why would you want the loudspeaker to exacerbate that?
For me the most important factor of any speaker to listen to metal you got to have solid kick drum and highs that are not too revealing. I've been able to achieve this in my sound quality car but I'm new to home audio I just don't want to make a bad purchase off the rip

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
Suggest you try speakers you can return at no cost to make sure you’re happy with the sound.

S

Sassafras LLC

Audioholic Intern
Suggest you try speakers you can return at no cost to make sure you’re happy with the sound.
Where can you try speakers at no cost? I figured you had to purchase them and then if you don't like them.. you send it back

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Where can you try speakers at no cost? I figured you had to purchase them and then if you don't like them.. you send it back
Well it's a regular offer from SVS. JBL direct sales believe can be returned free of charge. Probably works with Amazon. Some others will charge a restocking fee or have you pay return freight. Maybe a b&m dealer might loan you a pair....but probably not at the CV level. In home trial is the best way to go, tho....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis