Speaker wires for my Athena's.

I

irvin

Junior Audioholic
Right now I am using Monster 16 ga. speaker wires for my Athena as-f1. I have an Onkyo 503 (75 watts high current receiver). Should I get 14 or 12 guage wires and if so what kind of difference will it make in the sound.

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
irvin said:
Right now I am using Monster 16 ga. speaker wires for my Athena as-f1. I have an Onkyo 503 (75 watts high current receiver). Should I get 14 or 12 guage wires and if so what kind of difference will it make in the sound.
.....Irvin, overkill in speaker wire is relatively cheap....I would use a quality 12 ga as minimum.....don't buy monster speaker wire, and we're done....I personally love Sound King speaker wire, and personally use their 10 ga.....

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
It depends on the distance to the speakers. If they are under 20 feet away, 16 gauge will be fine. If you go to a lower gauge you will technically have slightly less loss and the change in sound quality will be...zero.

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
MDS said:
If you go to a lower gauge you will technically have slightly less loss
.....and that small and inaudible slightly less loss, could be the factor when coupled with some unpleasantry elsewhere....off with it's head cheap....gone for the evening....(THUNDEROUS APPLAUSE)....(AGAIN)....(ACTUALLY,)....(EVERY TIME WITH THIS ANNOUNCEMENT)....(HUH?).....

.....(same frown).....

S

sokrman14

Audioholic
check out audioquest at www.audioquest.com I am using their type 4 speaker wire. It runs about $180 for a 10 foot pair, professionally terminated, and they blow away any monster speaker wire. Check it out though.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
sokrman14 said:
check out audioquest at www.audioquest.com I am using their type 4 speaker wire. It runs about $180 for a 10 foot pair, professionally terminated, and they blow away any monster speaker wire. Check it out though.

Don't listen to him.

This wire is a RIP off. Sound king stuff will put up better numbers for way less.

SheepStar

Last edited:
M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
mulester7 said:
.....and that small and inaudible slightly less loss, could be the factor when coupled with some unpleasantry elsewhere....off with it's head cheap....gone for the evening....(THUNDEROUS APPLAUSE)....(AGAIN)....(ACTUALLY,)....(EVERY TIME WITH THIS ANNOUNCEMENT)....(HUH?).....

.....(same frown).....
Frowning on the facts again, eh?

You only have to please yourself. If you need to use 10 ga wire to ward off imaginary demons, so be it. Might I also suggest you never leave the closet door open while you sleep or let your feet dangle off the edge of the bed - you never know...monsters just might be real.

S

sokrman14

Audioholic
Ill have you know Sheep, I have actually had a demo with a roomful of about 150 people using basic audioquest vs. a middle to top of the line from monster, and I can promise you, and all 150 people as well, that they are a better cable. And it has nothing to do with the gauge, it has to do with how the wire is made. If you don't want to buy them then dont, but let the man decide for himself if he likes them or not.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I am normally a big fan of overkill, but not for speaker wire. I have used 10 ga and I told that story before. It's way too thick and unwieldy and gave no difference in sound quality that I could discern.

The next time you encounter a monster, strangle it with your 10ga wire and take a photo for me.

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
MDS said:
Frowning on the facts again, eh?

You only have to please yourself. If you need to use 10 ga wire to ward off imaginary demons, so be it. Might I also suggest you never leave the closet door open while you sleep or let your feet dangle off the edge of the bed - you never know...monsters just might be real.
.....MDS, I whupped a closet monster just night before last, and now he washes pots in the kitchen on day-shift under the watchful eye of Helga....I believe in cheap rehabilitation labor, MDS, and Helga can work 'em down....and MDS, you order Sound King 10 ga one time, the 250 foot roll, and you'll only think bigger, by the foot, for your subs....it's WONDERFUL to work with, and looks GREAT....to me....and I figure into the equation....as afore mentioned, it's mighty cheap overkill for potential combinations.....

Last edited:
M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Really, now. This is hard to believe.

sokrman14 said:
Ill have you know Sheep, I have actually had a demo with a roomful of about 150 people using basic audioquest vs. a middle to top of the line from monster, and I can promise you, and all 150 people as well, that they are a better cable. And it has nothing to do with the gauge, it has to do with how the wire is made. If you don't want to buy them then dont, but let the man decide for himself if he likes them or not.
You're implying that all 150 people heard the difference? That flies in the face of all speaker wire testing that's ever been done under proper conditions.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
sokrman14 said:
You should really read this.

http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/audioprinciples/interconnects/audioquestDBScablesrespons.php

A good cable won't improve the sound, it will try not to affect the sound as much.

Blind tests mean nothing when the people taking the test no squat about audio. Ga. and construction have everything to do with how the cable performs. If you like Audioquest, you should look at Mapleshade, and Bose.

SheepStar

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
sokrman14 said:
To say that "it has nothing to do with the gauge" is 100% false. A lower gauge cable will have less resistive losses. A cable that isn't of a sufficient guage will actually attenuate the signal, sometimes to an audible degree.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
jaxvon said:
A cable that isn't of a sufficient guage will actually attenuate the signal, sometimes to an audible degree.

That is absolutely so :D
Greenhill demonstrated just this some years back with 24ga vs 16ga and 12ga:D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

MDS said:
The next time you encounter a monster, strangle it with your 10ga wire and take a photo for me.

He needs to share it with all of us here. I am interested as well:D Finally, that monster kill.:cool:

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

sokrman14 said:

Interesting story. 1000s have claimed to have been abducted by space aliens.
Have you heard about mass hysteria? This is a real phenomenon and such a crowd is not immune from it.

In speaker cables, resistance and inductance are the main factors of importance. But that's just me still trying to get out of a hole.:p

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
mtrycrafts said:
In speaker cables, resistance and inductance are the main factors of importance. But that's just me still trying to get out of a hole.:p
.....you ain't in no hole on speaker wire, Mtry....if I'm missing something not using Monster wire, even with it's claim of being made differently, I shall continue on, undaunted.....

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

mulester7 said:
.....you ain't in no hole on speaker wire, Mtry....if I'm missing something not using Monster wire, even with it's claim of being made differently, I shall continue on, undaunted.....

Nothing wrong with the Monster wire itself. Just everything beyond it where the issues are:D

jaxter

jaxter

Enthusiast
Really

sokrman14 said:
I am very interested. How about a double blind listening tests to help determine the differences?
How exactly was the wire made and what measurable and audible differences does this bring out?
Was this demo double blind? What specifically were the differences? Was there any measurements taken to qualify these differences? I would be very interested in quatifiable differences.
Do you believe that in a double blind test that the differences could be detected repeatably and reliably?
Were the differences in resistance , inductance and capacitance measured at any time before during or after the demonstration?
Please illuminate this topic with any information that will shed light on this subject.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis