Speaker wire to RCA connections

D

drdawg

Junior Audioholic
Okay so the house i bought had bose speakers already in the ceiling. So the way they did it you know with the great bose ones that are a bit different but they have a wall plate of rca jacks...there is a spot for all four speakers and a two jacks per speaker it seems...so it would be red/black i would assume or line/noline whatever you want to call it.

can i just buy rca plugs like the link here and hook up regular wire from my AV reciever to it?

http://www.amazon.com/GLS-Audio-Plugs-Gold-Speaker/dp/B00FL7PM4G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421465036&sr=8-1&keywords=rca+speaker+plugs&pebp=1421465037009&peasin=B00FL7PM4G

thoughts?

ketan

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Those plugs are typically used for audio signals between pre-amplifiers, medium players (CD, DVD, BDP, Turntables) etc. to power amplifiers. If your speakers are powered then you probably can used those RCA plugs.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Okay so the house i bought had bose speakers already in the ceiling. So the way they did it you know with the great bose ones that are a bit different but they have a wall plate of rca jacks...there is a spot for all four speakers and a two jacks per speaker it seems...so it would be red/black i would assume or line/noline whatever you want to call it.

can i just buy rca plugs like the link here and hook up regular wire from my AV reciever to it?

http://www.amazon.com/GLS-Audio-Plugs-Gold-Speaker/dp/B00FL7PM4G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421465036&sr=8-1&keywords=rca speaker plugs&pebp=1421465037009&peasin=B00FL7PM4G

thoughts?

ketan
You will have to be careful as dealing with Bose is often an adventure. Bose have made a lot of ceiling speaker systems over the years that will only work with their head units, that are no longer available. You need to pull a speaker and see what you have. If you pull a speaker and see a strange attached transformer, then you have one of these systems and the speakers will have to be removed and discarded.

Superficially the system resembles the 70 volt distribution system, but it isn't. It is a system of Bose's creation.

As far as I can tell Bose have no systems currently like what I describe, but they have had and we have had posts here about them in the past. When they are encountered there is no other solution than to start from scratch.

D

drdawg

Junior Audioholic
So i have the same speakers down in the living room but those some how the home owners had plugged into a normal plate that accepts banana plugs...seem odd?

if i take a pic of the speaker would you be able to tell me if it is a system i am screwed with?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
So i have the same speakers down in the living room but those some how the home owners had plugged into a normal plate that accepts banana plugs...seem odd?

if i take a pic of the speaker would you be able to tell me if it is a system i am screwed with?
If you remove a speaker and take a picture of the rear of the speaker, I would be able to tell.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis