Speaker wire questions

C

Contradiction

Audiophyte
I'm sure there might have been some other topics that answered these questions, but I got a few, figured I just blitz them.

1. While searching for speaker wire, I came across Quote/unquote - High Definition speaker cable. What does this mean? Is there such a thing or is all speaker wire "HD"

2. Is there speaker wire larger than 8 AWG?
2.1 Just how drastic of a difference will 10AWG be compared to 14AWG? I'm not trying to wire an auditorium or anything, but if you were to say, wire one speaker 5ft away with 22AWG and another 5ft away with 8AWG will there be any difference in audio quality? Basically my towers/center would be 2m away from the receiver and the rears I have a wireless transmitter and probably wired 4-5m away from it. I need to know because I'm not going to be wiring very long distances and the jump from 14 to 12AWG is ridiculous from what I seen anyway.
2.2 Is there any loss in signal using wireless transmitters? It's the Rocketfish RF-RBKIT if curious.
2.3 I found a great deal (I think anyway) $25 for 100ft of 14AWG Cadence speaker wire. Is there actually a good deal and is Cadence a good brand?

3. Where do you buy your speaker cable? I'm cheap, yet I still try to strive for quality names.
3.1 What brands do you trust?

4. More so a receiver question if anyone could grace me with an answer. Many receivers now have USB ports on them, is this ONLY for Ipod/MP3 capabilities or are there some that can play video and data (pictures/etc) through it?

Thanks guys.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I'm sure there might have been some other topics that answered these questions, but I got a few, figured I just blitz them.

1. While searching for speaker wire, I came across Quote/unquote - High Definition speaker cable. What does this mean? Is there such a thing or is all speaker wire "HD"

2. Is there speaker wire larger than 8 AWG?
2.1 Just how drastic of a difference will 10AWG be compared to 14AWG? I'm not trying to wire an auditorium or anything, but if you were to say, wire one speaker 5ft away with 22AWG and another 5ft away with 8AWG will there be any difference in audio quality? Basically my towers/center would be 2m away from the receiver and the rears I have a wireless transmitter and probably wired 4-5m away from it. I need to know because I'm not going to be wiring very long distances and the jump from 14 to 12AWG is ridiculous from what I seen anyway.
2.2 Is there any loss in signal using wireless transmitters? It's the Rocketfish RF-RBKIT if curious.
2.3 I found a great deal (I think anyway) $25 for 100ft of 14AWG Cadence speaker wire. Is there actually a good deal and is Cadence a good brand?

3. Where do you buy your speaker cable? I'm cheap, yet I still try to strive for quality names.
3.1 What brands do you trust?

4. More so a receiver question if anyone could grace me with an answer. Many receivers now have USB ports on them, is this ONLY for Ipod/MP3 capabilities or are there some that can play video and data (pictures/etc) through it?

Thanks guys.
Start here: Speaker Wire

1) Means nothing at all.
2) Of course there is, but you will unlikely ever even need 8 AWG for anything short of stadium speakers.
2.x) See above link
3) For cheap: HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!

You don't need a quality name. Of all the factors in the system, the wire going to the speakers, providing it is of appropriate AWG for the load and distance, makes the least difference. Copper will do the trick, the name is usually the thing that costs you. $0.25/foot should do just fine.

4) can't answer that one. Depends on the device I'd say.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis