Speaker to line level converter experiment, need advice.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
It may or may not work as intended, but I'd like to give it a shot. The maximum output voltage of my receiver is about 28v RMS, my plan is to use a 10kohm resistor and a 1200 ohm resistor to cut the voltage to 3v RMS at maximum volume. I chose 10kohm for R1 because the majority of unbalanced inputs of amplifiers are 10kohm.

First question, what type of resistor would be best? Obviously, the goal is a flat frequency response. Secondly, I'm not entirely sure if noise would be an issue, the plan is to either find or build a suitable cable to go from the speaker level to the divider that is shielded. If noise was an issue, what would be the best way to solve it?

Sent from my 5065N using Tapatalk

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
So what are you trying to do, add a power amp to a receiver that lacks pre-outs?

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
So what are you trying to do, add a power amp to a receiver that lacks pre-outs?
Yup. I have a cheapo lepai amp to test it with, not worried about destroying it.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
It may or may not work as intended, but I'd like to give it a shot. The maximum output voltage of my receiver is about 28v RMS, my plan is to use a 10kohm resistor and a 1200 ohm resistor to cut the voltage to 3v RMS at maximum volume. I chose 10kohm for R1 because the majority of unbalanced inputs of amplifiers are 10kohm.

First question, what type of resistor would be best? Obviously, the goal is a flat frequency response. Secondly, I'm not entirely sure if noise would be an issue, the plan is to either find or build a suitable cable to go from the speaker level to the divider that is shielded. If noise was an issue, what would be the best way to solve it?

This may help, depending on your math skills.

http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/attenuators/attenuator.html

You could google search for 'Passive attenuators'.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis