Speaker Taps on Amplifier - Why this configuration ?

T

timetohunt

Audioholic
I usually discuss Hi-Fi and home theatre audio here. But here is a question based on a Guitar Amplifier I just purchased. Its boutique grade, hand-wiring and such, but no manual. Its a combo amp, meaning the amp is installed in a cabinet with a speaker. The amp has 3 output taps (all accept 1/4 inch banana plug style) for speakers, one 16ohm, and two 8ohm. The 16ohm is already occupied for the 16ohm speaker that is currently in the cab. This particular amp, a 3 Monkeys Orangutan, is most often sold as a head unit only (no speakers or cabinet). The electronics in my combo are identical to this head unit. I have to admit I don't know much about amp/speaker matching tho I have read my fair share.... I still come up dumb about it. Some side effects of the meds I take seem to cloud my thinking. I'll get it eventually. Some questions:

1. I found out normally this amp style comes with an 8ohm speaker, can anyone think of why a 16ohm was installed. Would a 16ohm be a special order - with some advantages? - or on the opposite end, could it be a cost cutter?

2. With the two 8ohm taps, does that mean I could power 2 8ohm cabinets at the same time? Just one 8ohm cab? Or two 16s?
These 2 extra 8ohm taps have to be there for some useful reason, just trying to find out what that is. I know its for speaker extension of some kind.

3. Similarly, could the 16ohm remain intact and the amp also power an additional 8 ohm cab or two at the same time. My guess is that you want to disconnect the 16 in either case cuz of the power output differences - Yes, No? But would it still work?

4. Also, lets say I have a cabinet with two 12" speakers, and the cab is rated at 8ohms - does this mean that each of the speakers is a 16ohm speaker?

5. The 16ohm speaker that comes with the combo is rated at 60w. The amp is rated 30-35w. Does that seem normal?
THanks you.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis