Speaker system with diferent impedances

A

and_woox

Enthusiast
Please i'm running a system on my Pionner d914 that is as follows:
5.1 philips speaker kit with 8Ω impedance, 100w for the speakers(they are bookshelf type)
2 front mid-sized philips speakers rated 6Ω, 150w.
Is it ok to run this system on the receiver configured for 6Ω what about 8Ω?
Any thing i should look for?

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
I think you would be best off to run the whole setup in 8ohm. My mains are 6 or 8 ohm (depends on where you look for specs) and my center is 4 or 6 ohm. I've had no trouble. It would seem that ohm ratings are very non-specific (vary by frequency) and nominal ratings are just guesses or generalizations.

A

and_woox

Enthusiast
if i leave the impedance to 8, wont my receiver be forced to deliver more power that its usual to him to the 6 ohms pair of speakers?

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
if i leave the impedance to 8, wont my receiver be forced to deliver more power that its usual to him to the 6 ohms pair of speakers?
No, the opposite. Lower impedances require more current and since current and power (watts) are related, if the receiver is capable of supplying the required current, lower impedance speakers will be given more power.

If the receiver can handle the lower impedance speakers, the only issue is one of balacing the channels. The lower impedance speakers will get more current and thus more power and will have to have their channel trims set lower to equal the other channels with higher impedance speakers.

A

and_woox

Enthusiast
OK.
So what impedance setting do you think i should configure my reciever?
Wont you think that if i put it on 8 it would force in to deliver more current to the 6 ohms speakers than its configured ?
So the wise choise should be to configure it to 6 right?because the 8 speakers would require less current so not forcing there!

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
This has been discussed before, Yamaha uses the switch to pass UL requirments, otherwise its best to leave it at 8ohms settings, Yamaha speakers I use on my Z9 go down to 4ohms, my NS-1000 goes to 2ohms on certain frequencies, so far no problems with the receiver at 8ohms setting.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis