Speaker stand questions

P

PSU80

Junior Audioholic
I won the Aperion speak contest and am anxiously awaiting their arrival. I've always had tower speakers so I'm going to need to get some speaker stands and have a few questions.

1- Does anyone have a recommendation for a speaker stand? I"ll be receiving the 6B which is 15" H x 8.3" W x 12.8" D. The website says it weighs 26 lbs. but the product manual I downloaded says 39 lbs. so I'm not sure of the weight.

2- How does the speaker attach to the stand. Are the rubber isolation pads sufficient or do I need something else?

3- The stands will be on a hard wood floor so would I be better off using spikes and floor discs or some sort of rubber feet?

4- I was considering a diy approach using mdf for the base and top and a 3" or 4" pvc tube filled with sand. How this compare with a commercial stand?

Thanks for your help!

S

sptrout

Audioholic
I am not familiar with those speakers, but here is a link to a stand company that I have used twice with good results: http://www.standsandmounts.com/

A couple things to watch out for:
1. Make sure the stand you select can handle the weight. I noticed in the past that the stands at most B&M stores are designed for very light speakers, which is one of the reasons I had to use a web-based company for the 75 pound speakers that I had at one time.

2. Do you have kids, or visitors with kids? Speakers on stands can be very dangerous if a child pushes one over.

A couple answers to your questions.

#1. See link
#2. Speakers just sit on the stand. Both of the ones that I have ordered in the past included rubber or felt pads.
#3. My 20 pound Beta 20s sit on 36" stands and have adjustable plastic pads (for leveling). I have hard floors.
#4. ??

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
Congrats, PSU80, lucky dog!

Some folks use Blue Tack earthquake putty to secure their speakers to stands. You can get it at the local Ace hardware or Home Despot.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis