Speaker size settings

skads_187

skads_187

Audioholic
Just got a new receiver, the sc-25.
I wanted to know, the mcacc always sets the speakers to large,
but with my last receiver, i had manually changed them to small.

basically, i wanna know, with the speakers I have, is it better to leave them as small?

Fronts: psb t45
Back: psb b15

Or is this just a matter of preferance, because i would like to let my sub do most of the work.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Assuming you have a tolerable subwoofer, set them to "Small". None of those speakers can give you much really deep bass. You do want to actually hear the deep bass that is sent to those channels, don't you? So send it to your subwoofer and enjoy.

skads_187

skads_187

Audioholic
perfect, thanks. yeah i have a velodyne dps-12. ill leave them as small then.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Seems to be a common comment about many of the auto-calibration systems.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Seems to be a common comment about many of the auto-calibration systems.
I don't know why manufacturers seem to always have the automatic settings wrong for speakers that can go down below 100 Hz but not down to really deep bass. Perhaps they do it on purpose, figuring that the average person has a fairly worthless subwoofer anyway, and so it may work out better for such people to have some of the strain taken off of it and sending the bass to the other speakers. But for anyone with a good subwoofer, the settings for the other speakers should be set to "small", unless they are extraordinarily good at deep bass, which is a very rare speaker indeed.

J

jayg84

Audioholic Intern
small unless you have premium floorstanding speakers then midsize. If you have subwoofers in each tower then large

T

tom67

Full Audioholic
Almost always always small if you have a sub.....even if you have high quality towers, I would use small as the bass competes with the sub producing a confused muddy sound.....If the tower's bass (or good bookshelf units) are better than the sub...then, eliminate the sub and set to large. The only other contrary exception I can cite is listening to old rock which is muddy to begin with and that is part of the sound you like...ala an old dance joint from the 60s. I have experimented with every set up since the age of subs and have yet to like the mains set to large and competing with the sub.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis