Speaker Setup - DVD vs. Rx

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Okay, you guys have gotten me past the PCM vs. Bitstream near fiasco. Now I have another 'hidden' DVD/Receiver setup issue. (Dang, sometimes this old man really does long for the old stereo days.)

My Panasonic DVD has it's own bass management and speaker setup system. It's reasonably similar to the Yammie receiver's system, but lacks variable crossover settings. But it will set delay, distance, size, and levels. Just how do these setting interplay with the Yammie's setup settings? Does it only effect what is played via the Yammie's Pure Direct or what? How about the digital signal? Does it pass this setup somehow to the receiver? The manual is of no help.

I think someone ought to start up a Logical and Understandable Manual Writing Corporation. Does one have to have some kind of mental disability to be a user manual writer?

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
Those setting should only affect the output being sent through the 5.1 analogue outputs. Anything digital should be unaffected and allow the receiver to do the work.
If I'm wrong on this I'd certainly like to know............

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yep, NomoSony is right - if you are using a digital connection, the player's speaker settings are completely ignored. I'm sure the manuals aren't too bad in their original language, but when they get translated....anything goes. That's one of the reasons why sites like this are a good thing :D

B

Blundaar

Audioholic
I figure if you're already playing with the analog outs on your Panasonic, try setting it up to see which setup sounds better to you. You may be quite surprised (like I was) as to how good the Digital-to-Analog Converters are on your player. Have fun!

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Blundaar said:
I figure if you're already playing with the analog outs on your Panasonic, try setting it up to see which setup sounds better to you. You may be quite surprised (like I was) as to how good the Digital-to-Analog Converters are on your player. Have fun!
They are, as far as I can detect, equal to or maybe even superior to the Yammie's.

B

Blundaar

Audioholic
It figures. The Audio Gods aren't happy unless you have at least 20 separate lines running into, and out of, your receiver.:D

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
rjbudz said:
They are, as far as I can detect, equal to or maybe even superior to the Yammie's.
The problem is going to be, as you stated earlier, the lack of bass management. Regardless of how good the DACs are, having a pre-set crossover can offset that in a hurry. My Yamaha player is I believe set to 110.
Some stuff sounds OK some doesn't. The only thing I use the player's DACs for is DVD-A & SACD.

R

rak_32

Banned
j_garcia said:
Yep, NomoSony is right - if you are using a digital connection, the player's speaker settings are completely ignored. I'm sure the manuals aren't too bad in their original language, but when they get translated....anything goes. That's one of the reasons why sites like this are a good thing :D
give up, this guys not for real.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis